Sign in to follow this  
aaka

up to yhe cruise. ..

How high can u go with ur pmdg 737/47/77?

Dont know abt 777 but 737/747 does not go higher then fl290. As soon as it starts climbing up, its speed decreases. What is the cruise speed of these airplanes? Is it 340 kts?

Hey, aaka. The planes will fly pretty high depending on their weight. Maybe you are loading them being too heavy. Check the gross weight.

As for cruise speeds, the documents offer a glimpse in case you instruments don't help. For example, expect a heavy 747-400 to cruise at FL310, M0.86 (488KTAS as per Boeing docs, 504 as per my calcs) while later being able to climb to another optimum level when fuel was burned.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how your test scenario looks like so feel free to add more details and maybe stick to one plane at a time. :smile:

Thnx coolip but as u said abt weight, I flew from EGLL TO VIDP. I wasn't able to go up above 310 and more then 340 kts. Are u able to reach 400 kts?

aaka,

You have to know the different airspeeds that exists. You will never reach 400 kts INDICATED airspeed with a 747, even less change when you're are at high altitude, you will however reach 400 kts TRUE airspeed rather easy at FL310.

Read up on IAS, CAS, EAS, TAS and Mach and how they all relate to each other  :smile:

You know, "ice tea is a pretty cool drink"  :lol: (google that)

aaka, joherszch has a point when it comes to checking out the basics of the whole airliner flying at high altitude business.

You are currently focused on reading some airspeed value on your primary flight display but you should consider using a tutorial situation (the PMDG planes come with great docs, and tutorials) taking you through the steps of setting up the plane correctly.

No rocket science needed but once you see how important your weight is and how your FMC, when set up properly, helps you with planning the flight levels and VNAV speeds (it does that for you, by design), you might catch a glimpse on how some values relate to each other.

Regarding the documents, check the PMDG download section. There's a "747 Type Rating" course. http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/downloads/docs.html

For the 737, you will find the tutorial docs in the PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\Flight Manuals folder.

Needless to say that Youtube will offer plenty of videos by experienced users and libraries like the one from Avsim will feature some more tutorials. Ground work! :smile:

aaka,

You have to know the different airspeeds that exists. You will never reach 400 kts INDICATED airspeed with a 747, even less change when you're are at high altitude, you will however reach 400 kts TRUE airspeed rather easy at FL310.

Read up on IAS, CAS, EAS, TAS and Mach and how they all relate to each other :smile:

I think that's where he is confused also. From what I remember, when I cruise around 36,000 feet my IAS is around 285 kts which is around .78 Mach and ground speed is approximately 485 kts.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you very much guys for solving my silly doubt. Now it is clear and I also flew my 737 tutorial flight. From that it is now clear tht all of my doubts were directly related to weights. I started flying without tutorial flight. Tht was my bad.. but once again thank you very much.