Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

1/2 refresh, Stuttering etc...

Hi all. First off let me say, I am an current X-Plane 10.31 user. I do have P3Dv2.4 installed, and i can see its potential. 

I would REALLY REALLY like to use it....But one thing holds me back, and I have been unable to find any satisfactory answers.

Stuttering, ok its not like texture loading or anything like that, its simply like the ground is skipping as I fly. It is noticeable when I look left or right out of the cockpit.

I have tried locking frame rate, triple buffering options etc... I am also on the LOWEST settings until I resolve this and then begin cranking them up. Its been like this since the day I bought it, almost 1 year ago. I gave in and stayed with X-Plane 10.

I would really like to give P3DV2 a shot. See what the fuss is about.....

Does 1/2 refresh mode work yet? In x-plane this makes it silky smooth for me.

Anything else people can recommend?

Thanks

Ian

In my profile but:-

i5 4670K @ 4ghz

16GB RAM

GtX 770 4GB

240GB SSD DRIVE

27" monitor

1/2 refresh is not working yet. So no cure for the scenery stuttering.

Matt Wilson

Part and parcel until sometime in the future, hopefully.

Best get used to it.

I get no stutters on my rig (but am not going to argue others don't).... Try Rob A's medium-high settings as a balanced starting point.

Then try the following and see if they help:

- set vsync to adaptive in Nvidia control panel

- set fps to unlimited and vsync / triple buffering off

- set Fiber Frame Time Fraction to 0.01 in the P3D.cfg

Good luck.

To add to DylanM's reply...

I have a similar system to you (i5 4670K @ 4.5 and GTX780 being the significant differences). Obviously with your i5 @ 4 you've already done some overclocking. I recently turned down my OC from 4.6 to 4.5 and aggressively ramped up the memory speed. This gave a very noticeable improvement in smoothness. I stopped trying to OC the GTX780 and was rewarded with yet more smoothness. I've tweaked Prepar3d.cfg to set AffinityMask to 15 and have also set TessellationFactor to 100. The 344.60 Nvidia driver also helped. 

I've found that 3rd party AI can worsen stuttering too.

To add to DylanM's reply...

I have a similar system to you (i5 4670K @ 4.5 and GTX780 being the significant differences). Obviously with your i5 @ 4 you've already done some overclocking. I recently turned down my OC from 4.6 to 4.5 and aggressively ramped up the memory speed. This gave a very noticeable improvement in smoothness. I stopped trying to OC the GTX780 and was rewarded with yet more smoothness. I've tweaked Prepar3d.cfg to set AffinityMask to 15 and have also set TessellationFactor to 100. The 344.60 Nvidia driver also helped.

I've found that 3rd party AI can worsen stuttering too.

This stuttering has nothing to do with performance, settings, add ons, ect. It is vsync related.

Matt Wilson

This stuttering has nothing to do with performance, settings, add ons, ect. It is vsync related.

I have to agree.  I chased this for years with FSX.  Changing hardware, config tweaks, slider settings.  When the 1/2 refresh rate and vsync fix came around - they were gone...instantly.  I still have stuttering in P3D, but it is mild.  I know not to chase them around in circles like I did in FSX.  And....these stutters vary.  Some have them and do not see them, some can see them and do not know what they see is "stuttering."  It is a difficult conversation to have unless one can prop their box up next to another persons and compare.  Man...we need a flight sim LAN gathering like quakecon.  That would be a great way to get issues ironed out.

Im waiting for a vsync fix to come our way and then I will worry about them.  Right now they are minimal and I can live with it.

Agree very much with Dokelly07. The stuttering in P3D is not consistent and appears to dependent heavily on which sceneries you're flying. Many sceneries are stuttering free but some definitely stutter.

Overall though, I found that if the stuttering happens it's much more noticeable when you look out at the side of the aircraft. The forward view most time is much smoother.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

20fps in p3d is smoother then 20fps in FSX but once you dial back the scenery for a solid 30fps and bring the 1/2 refresh lock @ 30 fsx is smoother.

Does anyone know why the 1/2 refresh does not work in p3d?

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Does anyone know why the 1/2 refresh does not work in p3d?

It was my understanding it doesn't work due to the fact that P3D operates in full screen in a sort of pseudo full screen mode, which is more like windowed mode but looks like standard full screen.   Perhaps if this is true, this is why the refresh rate settings don't affect things.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking: