Sign in to follow this  
patrico

Any ideas anyone ?

on why after a transatlantic flight from EGLL to KJFK I am failing to pick up  the G/S only the LOC ON MY T7.  All the flight, up until that landing is routine. I am landing at 4L and am using the Parch 1 star from my last waypoint Ebony at TOD. I have my altitude set at 2500 all the way for the decent, I am not  flying with ATC to give me vectors only the FMC.

on why after a transatlantic flight from EGLL to KJFK I am failing to pick up  the G/S only the LOC ON MY T7. 

Check the scenery to ensure it also includes an ILS and not just a LOC. I'm pretty sure JFK has had an ILS there for quite some time, but it might not have. JYO had a LOC only when FSX was developed, so I had to manually enable the GS myself (using ADE).

You can always just pop open the map (Alt > World > Map) when in the sim and click on the green LOC icon. It will say LOC or ILS in the pop up window I think.

What is the scenery you have at JFK?  Maybe its missing the G/S ?

Beat me to it! Thought the same thing.

Kyle Rodgers

thanks Guys,

I did look at the Map and it had the exact same frequency as displayed on my PFD. I am using FS Dreamteam v.1 JFK. It has to be my fault as I  must not  be shooting an ILS currently so I guess its back to  the drawing board and watch Kyle's videos again 

and it had the exact same frequency as displayed on my PFD

It's not the freq that matters - it's the GS (which is actually a different frequency, but the nav radios in all aircraft manage that part for you). The only thing a pilot ever tunes is actually the LOC. An ILS is simply a LOC that has a GS shack next to it. The important part for this situation is the map showing ILS or LOC - not the frequency.

The frequency for the JYO ILS is the same frequency as when it was a LOC-only approach.

Kyle Rodgers

I am using FS Dreamteam v.1 JFK. It has to be my fault as I must not be shooting an ILS

Several years ago I had intermittent  problems with 4L at KJFK (FSDT) using the PMDG MD-11. The aircraft would crash to runway at 50-100 feet, I quit using the runway. Never did find a problem. Same problem at 28L KSFO and 33L KBOS About a year ago I started using them again with no problems. Go figure. FSX?

I forgot the details ......but there was something about KJFK using the same ILS frequency for both rwy directions......and I think this was not correctly modelled in default FSX KJFK.

So if for example ILS04R and ILS22L use the same frequency (I have not checked, so dont beat me up for it) then you can only do an ILS in one direction in FSX

And as far as I remember, after I downloaded a free AFCAD for KJFK from the AVSIM library the problem was resolved.

Rob Robson

I have FSDT JFK Ver 2 (released April 2013) and it does include an ILS for RWY 04L (110.9). Perhaps there is something different in FSDT JFK Ver 1.

Interesting how the ILS frequencies for 04L/22R and 04R/22L are assigned at JFK:

04L (110.9) / 22R (109.5)

04R (109.5) / 22L (110.9)

There are real Terminal Procedure ILS or LOC RWY plates for 04L, 04R, and 22L. There is only an ILS for 22R.

It is my understanding that most of the time 04L/22R are used for take offs and 04R/22L for landings.

Regards,

Claude Franklin

It is my understanding that most of the time 04L/22R are used for take offs and 04R/22L for landings.

In the States, the general rule of thumb is that the parallel closer to the terminal is for departures, with the one farther from it for arrivals (in the case the terminal isn't between them, so PHL, EWR. JFKs 04/22s, LAX, ATL, etc).

Kyle Rodgers

In the States, the general rule of thumb is that the parallel closer to the terminal is for departures, with the one farther from it for arrivals (in the case the terminal isn't between them, so PHL, EWR. JFKs 04/22s, LAX, ATL, etc).

Would this apply to IADs 1C/19C and 1L/19R?

Thanks Kyle.

Regards,

Claude Franklin

I've only been into KIAD a few times so Kyle has the definitive answer; however, it is also true the longer runway is for departure and shorter for landings. My guess for KIAD is 1L/19R is landing and either of the others are used depending on direction for departures. Notice they are same length and lateral distance but longitudal distance gives preference to landing 19C or 1R and departing 1C or 19L depending on direction of traffic flow.

It really gets complicated at KDEN where there are four traffic flow patterns and a bizzillion acres of runway to choose from.

Dan Downs KCRP

Would this apply to IADs 1C/19C and 1L/19R?

IAD is actually very weird, but it all starts to make sense when it's explained. IAD is one of the reasons I added the "in the case the terminal isn't between them." So, sure, the terminal isn't between the center and west runways, but it's between the east and center. I was getting at "paired" runways where they're relatively close and on one side like those I mentioned above (while ATL and LAX has a terminal in between the runways, if you break it down, you'll see that it's just two pairs of paired runways...plus an extra one they slapped on down at ATL).

The IAD Runway Rundown (it's best to have the CAPITAL SID open when looking at this - "north" is everything above the dashed line, "south" is everything below it):

Wind From the North (North Ops):

North Fixes:

Departures come off of the 1s. Usually, 1C is used as a primary runway since where you'd taxi onto it is closest to most of the gates. 1R is used for extra volume, and gates over on the east side of the terminals. 1L is used if you've [ticked] off a controller.

South Fixes:

Runway 30 is used unless there is a strong wind from the east-north-east (which would result in a stiff tailwind).

Wind From the South, or Calm (South Ops):

South Fixes:

Departures come off of the 19s. Usually, 19L is used as a primary runway since where you'd taxi onto it is closest to most of the gates. 19C is used for extra volume (Landmark aviation and cargo, as well). 19R is used if you've really really [ticked] off a controller.

North Fixes:

Runway 30 is used unless there is a strong wind from the east-south-east (which would result in a stiff tailwind).

(Just consider Runway 30 as the runway that serves the fixes in the opposite direction from either the 1s or 19s being used).

As for landing:

North Ops:

1R and 1C are primary. 1L if it's really busy or they don't like you.

South Ops:

19C and 19L are primary. 19R if it's really busy of they don't like you (or, in my experience - if you're a slow plane).

If you think any of that is bad, you should have a look at BWI...

It really gets complicated at KDEN where there are four traffic flow patterns and a bizzillion acres of runway to choose from.

You got that right, though they do somewhat follow that "near runway dep, far runway arr" model for the runways that are paired. Not my area of expertise, though.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, Your explanation and description is most informative. And looking at the Capital SID really does help. I suspected IAD did not fit the "general rule" you described earlier for "paired runways" given where the terminal is relative to the runways. Thanks again.

Regards

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Thanks to everyone for your interesting input but I am afraid that I have not found the solution yet. I suspect it has  to be me, so I will go back and try to find out why by watching more of Kyles very informative channel

FYI Kyle by way of explanation, on watching your channel I can see that you frown on people using the Autopilot  a lot and especially on landing.

Due to 2 reasons I find its the only way I can successfully (or part there off ) fly and enjoy it

1) I am 65 years old, now I am sure many 65 year  old + can manually fly this aircraft, but my second reason is the main one

2) I have no dexterity and in a wheelchair after a car crash in Houston in 1992, sure, I would love to be able to fly manually without the aid of the FMC but I consider myself lucky that I can even enjoy this addiction which masquerades as a hobby at all.

That and my speech impairment  is the reason, why I need a button controlled ATC. Any ideas anyone? I have tried RADAR CONTACT

Kyle, Your explanation and description is most informative. And looking at the Capital SID really does help. I suspected IAD did not fit the "general rule" you described earlier for "paired runways" given where the terminal is relative to the runways. Thanks again.

It was a good question. Love seeing questions like that. And now you can go through IAD and know what you're doing (or if on IVAO/VATSIM, anticipate the ATC instructions a little better). You can even use that information to help you get out of other fields, too.

FYI Kyle by way of explanation, on watching your channel I can see that you frown on people using the Autopilot  a lot and especially on landing.

I do frown on it, but that's because it's limiting people to certain airports, and - at least to me - shows a lack of incentive to learn. Handflying is an indispensable skill, and landing yourself is actually rather rewarding. That said, I won't criticize anyone who physically can't. I work with a guy who has a fused wrist, so I know how difficult even simple things can be.

Thanks for watching.

Kyle Rodgers