Sign in to follow this  
patrico

Any ideas anyone ?

The problem is not the scenery, FMC, PMDG or any NAV data it is me........operator error.

I am interested to know what the operator error was. Would you mind elaborating on that?

not 100%  sure but it appears I was not picking up the G/S as my altitude was too high

not 100%  sure but it appears I was not picking up the G/S as my altitude was too high

You must have been really high. I just did a flight into KTPA and picked up the G/S at 7000 ft. 20 miles from the runway. I was above the G/S by quite a bit. Had to go to a descent rate of 3500 FPM to capture it but it all came together about 400 ft. above touchdown.

You must have been really high. I just did a flight into KTPA and picked up the G/S at 7000 ft. 20 miles from the runway. I was above the G/S by quite a bit. Had to go to a descent rate of 3500 FPM to capture it but it all came together about 400 ft. above touchdown.

A normal-gradient GS is typically about 1500ft AGL for each 5 miles from the runway.  At 20 miles that would be 6000 ft.  So you were only 1000 ft above the GS.   Maybe you were going pretty fast to have to descend that quickly to catch up with the GS?  BTW, I think 20 miles or so is about the limit for receiving the GS in FSX.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

that's really "put the cat amongst the pigeons" and I had thought I located my error,  not so sure now

that's really "put the cat amongst the pigeons" and I had thought I located my error, not so sure now

Hi, Patrico,

Just been doing a little experimenting at JFK 4L approach.  What ILS identifier are you seeing (upper right corner of the Nav Display)?  I am seeing IIWY when approaching Runway 4L (I am SW of the airport, traveling NE, where I should be)  This is the identifier for Runway 22L, which has the same frequency as 4L, 110.90, as was pointed out earlier in this thread.  The identifier for Runway 4L is IHIQ, according the FSX map view. 

So, Patrico, if you are seeing IIWY then you are not receiving the 4L ILS, but the 22L ILS.  I think this is a bug in FSX.  I have completely different scenery from you, Drzewiecki Design.  So this is not a scenery issue.

I do see a GS indicator, but it doesn't move, and the aircraft lines up with 4R/22L, not 4L as it should. 

--------------

Switched from the PMDG T7 to a default Cessna.  1500 ft five miles out clearly receiving ILS for 22L, not 4L (again, they have the same frequency).  Slewing around, ILS localizer indicator is lined up when I am lined up with 4R/22L, not 4L.  Receiving morse code for 22L, IIWY, not IHIQ.  Localizer is reading backwards as if I am on a backcourse. 

Do other people see this problem?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

This is a shot in the dark (and I apologize if this was already mentioned...I didn't see it),

Patrico, did you hit the "NAV" button or the "APP" button in the 777?  The NAV button will only track the localizer...the APP button will track both LOC and GS.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

thank you Devin, I was always told, you had to hit the Nav button first off and capture the Localizer and then when the G/S becomes active hit that button. Am I doing it wrong.

Mike thank you for your efforts to help me, I really appreciate it. 

You can use both the LOC and APP buttons or just the APP. What signal you have received will determine what buttons to use. When the ILS 3 or 4 letter identifier shows in the upper left of the PFD, I use the LOC button. When the G/S indicator comes alive on the PFD I use the APP button. This usually occurs at about 25 and 20 miles respectively. If I have pressed no buttons and both localizer and G/S are alive, I Just press APP.

Flew KIAD-KJFK in the PMDG 77W, arriving ILS 04L (IHIQ) via CAMRN4.SIE. I have FSDT KJFK v2 and had no problem at all with this ILS. It really shouldn't matter which STAR you arrive on ... only that you hit the 04L GS capture at DME 5 (KRSTL) at 1500' as shown in the chart:

KJFK-ILS04L-chart_zpsa55832fd.jpg

Approaching the LOC/GS

KJFK-ILS04L-01_zpse91f2ca3.jpg

At DME 3.0 fully established

KJFK-ILS04L-02_zps98dc583c.jpg

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Flew KIAD-KJFK in the PMDG 77W, arriving ILS 04L (IHIQ) via CAMRN4.SIE. I have FSDT KJFK v2 and had no problem at all with this ILS. It really shouldn't matter which STAR you arrive on ... only that you hit the 04L GS capture at DME 5 (KRSTL) at 1500' as shown in the chart:

Hi, Jev,

I was at the same place last night, same altitude, and I was receiving IIWY, the ident for 22L, which has the same localizer frequency as 4L.  This happened both in the PMDG -200LR and in a default Cessna (IIWY on Morse code). 

Patrico was using FSDT JFK V.1.  I am using Drzewiecki Design JFK scenery.  I think this issue has to do with some quirk in FSX, possibly because of the unusual situation at JFK where the same frequency is used for the opposing parallel runway, R. 22L, not the other end of the same runway (as pointed out earlier).  I will try to take a look at the AFCAD that came with Drzewiecki Design, the stock one, and one I used to use by Ray Smith to see if I can figure out what is going on.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I was at the same place last night, same altitude, and I was receiving IIWY, the ident for 22L, which has the same localizer frequency as 4L. This happened both in the PMDG -200LR and in a default Cessna

Mike,

Just to be sure it's not the aircraft, I repeated the flight in the 77L and had no problem with the JFK 04L GS. Again, this is with FSDT KJFK v2.

Also I forgot to mention in my previous post that my AIRACs are 1412, so up-to-date.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

That and my speech impairment  is the reason, why I need a button controlled ATC. Any ideas anyone? I have tried RADAR CONTACT

Hi Patric, I just got Pro ATC myself, and enjoying it a lot better than Radar Contact with my T7. It's worth to check it out.

Just to be sure it's not the aircraft, I repeated the flight in the 77L and had no problem with the JFK 04L GS. Again, this is with FSDT KJFK v2.

Hi, Jev and everyone,

I found the problem on my system!  I had an AFCAD file still installed to add 13L approach lights for the Canarsie approach, which I neglected to uninstall when I installed Drzewiecki Design JFK.  Problem solved, at least for me.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2