Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

DX10 SF Version 2.5 soon too be released

Mark, do the shadows move when youre turning the airplane, and, does it lower your FPS? 

thanks

and what things did u do to get it too work with the Fixer, thanks again Mark

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I stil dont get shadows I dont know what I'm doing wrong

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Here is the video, enjoy B)

http://youtu.be/H7GaFRPb6fI

Well, works and works. As the person above me said, why are they moving as you switch viewpoint? Thats not realistic at all.

Anyway, I installed the 2.5 Fixer and put this ForceVCShadows tweak in the FSX.cfg. The tweak only made the gauges very dark and the switches on the MCP panel very bright. When I turned the aircraft to face the sun directly, the gauges became bright again. Maybe its supposed to be like this, but not this drastic. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I think that there are two separate things here.

Firstly there is no solution for the 737NGX in DX10SF.

The 737NGX has a solid box around the outside of the VC which has been defined to cast a shadow.

If you untick the FSX setting aircraft casts shadows on itself and observe you will see that the cockpit surfaces lighten and darken depending on their angle to the sun but there are no shadows. This is the DX9 behaviour too.

If you tick aircraft casts shadows on itself and add the setting ForceVCShadowMap=1 to fsx.cfg (as an aside I don't agree that this is a tweak - its a undocumented on off setting that has a clear behaviour!) then the cockpit will appear entirely shaded and surfaces will never lighten or darken. FSX is correctly calculating the lighting for a 737 cockpit contained inside a solid cube.

If you turn on HD Shadows then DX10SF zooms the "shadowmap" texture and in doing so clips portions of the VC model that are beyond a certain range from the eyepoint.

Now in 2.5 I tightened the clip radius because of problems with an Il-18 model and it looks like I have may gone too far for the NGX. What is happening I think is that if you move in an extreme way portions of the cube are being clipped and thus cease to block the sunlight and you see fleeting shadows.

This is not a useful or intended feature. I suggest that you set the shadow version in the debug dialog to 5 which will revert to the old radius (unless you want to fly the freeware IL-18 of course) People who are not seeing this are just rotating their normal viewpoint rather than moving high or low or backwards.

In Brynjar's case I guess that he probably has a large shadow boost (which I recommend against). This can cause a difference between the lighting of a surface that faces away from the sun and the same surface when facing towards the sun and calculated to be shadowed. This will cause surface to lighten when facing away from the sun.

Edited by SteveFx

I also posted over in the PMDG Forum that I,too, experienced the NGX VC shadows immediately after upgrading to Fixer v2.5 with the same effects noted above. But then I was unable to replicate the effect the next day on a different flight with the NGX. So I just assumed it was some artifact of the upgrade process. Anyway, it would be nice to have someone who consistently achieves the NGX VC shadows to post their Fixer settings.