Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

I just lost all my flightsim planes and backed up stuff!

Well, as ist sounds to me, its not the actual hard drive that failed - sound more like the external case of your hard drive failed.... try if you can change that....

regards

One other very simple thing to check would be to test the power outlet where you plug in the hard drive, just to make sure it isn't the 'plug in' that is dead. I had a multi outlet surge protector that had a outlet go dead. I thought my monitor had died!

Regards,

I had a whole load of planes (payware and freeware) saved to a external hard drive (I kept them there when not using them). Well the drive failed and it is not working (it's not getting any power).

Did I understood you that you didn't actually back-up you aircaft but just copied them onto an external drive and then deleted from your hard drive?

It might be possible to remove the drive from its enclosure and use it in an internal bay in order to recover what you need. Check youtube for videos of this being done.

Did I understood you that you didn't actually back-up you aircaft but just copied them onto an external drive and then deleted from your hard drive?

Yes thats correct. I guess it was more for storage and not a backup. :blush:

Hows this for coincidence ! I just started having texture problems today and messed about with the shaders folders, one thing led to another and FSX was completely ruined.

So I went to restore back up from Acronis but it couldn't find the boot partition ( moved during de frag) in the meantime I restarted my PC but it found errors and was told to insert the win 7 disc...That couldn't find errors but was unable to restart windows , lol you couldn't make this stuff up

Luckily Acronis allowed me to make a boot disc when I first installed it, inserted and was able to reboot into a reinstall and back in business in 16 mins both drives restored, from zero to hero and all this stuff is free, just download it from the web  :smile:

ZORAN

Yes thats correct. I guess it was more for storage and not a backup. :blush:

Then you've learned the hard way -  make an actual back-up.

Just to be sure .. I will add my two cents .. to the dollars already posted ^_^

IF your HD is in a enclosure (case) maybe it's a problem with the power switch (I had this in the past)

Be sure also to open the case and check if HD still well pluged .. and check if no wires are broken

Of course that can be as already said the power supply out of use ....

I don't think (optimistic here) that your HD is lost for ever

Good luck anyways

The drive did not give any warning that it was going to fail

The drive is probably fine, normally the interface board goes bad mainly because these parts get very hot being encased in a small enclosure.

Remove the drive from its case and just install it into your PC where it will show up just fine.

or buy one of these and drop your drive into it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet®-Docking-Including-External-Comaptible/dp/B00IS7Y96I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=U