Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

AVG Virus Detected - P3D Hosed

That makes sense. Sounds like a bit of user error but probably a lesson learned. I've gotten in the habit of doing a quick backup prior to any major install.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

See I checked my settings again and the;  Ask me before removing threats box is CHECKED.    I have no idea why it did not ask me before it decided the best course of action was to just remove a bunch of files.   It is annoying.  I have used AVG since it was a free program and have always been happy with it but this debockle may have just cost them my business if I find out it wasn't user error which looks like it is not given my settings currently set.    And I don't like the title of the program; General Behavior Protection.   Can I have a little more info than that before you destroy my install without asking?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I have used AVG since it was a free program...may have just cost them my business

A free program is generally worth as much as you pay for it.

Well it's not free anymore.  That was 8 years ago when it was in development.   It's full blown internet suite now and I have good luck with it.    All has ended well.  I went into the virus Vault and all the files were there.  I told it to restore all the files, re-ran the 2.3 to 2.4 installer, followe Rob's guide on getting all my addons to work again in 2.4.   I am up and running with seriously smooth performance.   :)    A fairy tale ending.  Yeah!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Well it's not free anymore.  That was 8 years ago when it was in development.   It's full blown internet suite now and I have good luck with it.    All has ended well.  I went into the virus Vault and all the files were there.  I told it to restore all the files, re-ran the 2.3 to 2.4 installer, followe Rob's guide on getting all my addons to work again in 2.4.   I am up and running with seriously smooth performance.   :)    A fairy tale ending.  Yeah!

It is still free!! I'm using AVG Free 2015. And it does not destroy files unless you tell it to do so. So the poster is either using a very old version and/or hasn't set it up correctly.

It is still free!! I'm using AVG Free 2015. And it does not destroy files unless you tell it to do so. So the poster is either using a very old version and/or hasn't set it up correctly.

I don't use the AVG Free.  I use AVG Internet Suite 2015 which is not free.   It is a premium service and my system is set up correctly.   It will not be trying to move the files again as I have placed P3D's folder on the exception list.  Problem solved.

100454.png

Brian Navy

I think the "best answer" is referring to the fact that the problem is solved.

It has been noted that AVG still has a free version as well as a paid suite. So all is good.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Why is post #19 beginning "Well it's not free anymore.." flagged as the best answer?  AVG is still offering  free anti-virus

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

Indeed, it's just as Rick stated. "Problem solved..."

...which essentially means there's no need for further discussion. :Whistle:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator