Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

GTX 970 4K Performance Test with X-plane 10 and Questions

I have just installed my new ASUS Strixx GTX 970 and have been testing it with X-plane 10 (latest beta). I have tested both in 4K and 1080p on my new Sony 4K TV.

Firstly, I can say the 4K experience with X-plane 10 is mind blowing. However, I am witnessing some strange behaviour. When in 4K I can get 22-25 fps at Aerosoft Lugano airport with clear weather and settings turned up almost to the highest everywhere and at extreme resolution. I am running with HDR on. Once away from the airport, I get from 30 – 6o fps which is pretty surprising in a positive way using 4K with a single 970 even with addons like the Jardesign A320 and caranado aircraft!! My processor is an i7 @3.8ghz and 6gb RAM.

The strange part is when I try in 1080p. I only gain a couple of frames! If I get such high frames in 4K, why would my frames be almost the same in 1080p? This does matter because if I add heavy weather to the equation, my fps are not as healthy so 4K becomes less smooth depending on the scenario (though I’m hoping a purchase of Skymaxx pro might help with that).

Has anyone any idea why my frames are almost the same in 4K as 1080p? Whilst I’m over the moon about being able to play in 4K, I would like the option of playing at higher fps in 1080p in bad weather.

Cheers

Steve