Sign in to follow this  
dukeav

Captain Sim 777 - FPS improvement tip

We all know it has terrible frames in VC. A user on the CS forum had posted a way to reduce the panel sizes(?), though it was a tedious approach. I have narrowed down the fix to the 6 primary displays, 2 left, 2 center and 2 right, and the fix is pretty straight-forward.

First open the panel.cfg in a text editor (it should be in SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B777-200ER_GE\panel)

Look for sections [VCockpit05] to [VCockpit10], 6 total.

In each of these 6 sections, replace

pixel_size=512,512

with

pixel_size=256,256

This should give a 20% FPS boost, does for me at least.

Make sure while testing that you load the same aircraft for which you modified the panel.cfg. If it looks good you can modify all models of 777 like this.

The 256,256 may make the displays pixelated if you zoom in close. You can try a higher value like 320,320, that's pretty sharp. But some FPS may be lost.

Another thing which you can do is replicate the Pilot's left panels also to the co-pilot side. This will render the same display on both sides. To do this, under [VCockpit07], look for this line:

gauge00=Captain_Sim.x777.display!DisplayGauge,     8, 15, 496,482,5

Change the last digit in this line from 5 to 2

and under [VCockpit08], look for:

gauge00=Captain_Sim.x777.display!DisplayGauge,     8, 15, 496,482,6

Change the last digit from 6 to 1

Now co-pilot's displays will mirror the pilot's and save some more FPS.

And last, if you don't use the EFB or weather radar:

Rename the Captain_Sim.x777.efb.dll and Captain_Sim.x777.wxr.dll to something like *.dll_ so that they don't load.

Overall with all these my FPS goes from 20 to 27, a good 30% increase.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good information, but may no longer be necessary. CS just released SP1.5 for the 777. It's said to improve FPS and from what I've seen so far it does. I'm now getting similar performance as I get with the PMDG T7 about 17-18FPS in cockpit at KLAX with 100% UT2 traffic. Note that's only with a 3Ghz C2D system. Before I was getting only about 8-9FPS in the same scenario with SP1.4.

Good information, but may no longer be necessary. CS just released SP1.5 for the 777. It's said to improve FPS and from what I've seen so far it does. I'm now getting similar performance as I get with the PMDG T7 about 17-18FPS in cockpit at KLAX with 100% UT2 traffic. Note that's only with a 3Ghz C2D system. Before I was getting only about 8-9FPS in the same scenario with SP1.4.

Well, that's strange because I am on 1.5 and did not see any FPS improvement after 1.5. The same was reported by other users also who upgraded to 1.5.

You are on FSX or P3D? PMDG T7 is not supposed to run on P3D.

Well, that's strange because I am on 1.5 and did not see any FPS improvement after 1.5. The same was reported by other users also who upgraded to 1.5.

You are on FSX or P3D? PMDG T7 is not supposed to run on P3D.

Yeah, it must of been a fluke, as I just did another flight out of LAX and this time my frames were more in the range of 11-12, still better then 1.4 but not as good as I posted earlier. This is on  FSX not P3D, (Didn't notice forum oops).

Yeah, it must of been a fluke, as I just did another flight out of LAX and this time my frames were more in the range of 11-12, still better then 1.4 but not as good as I posted earlier. This is on  FSX not P3D, (Didn't notice forum oops).

No issues. Maybe you can try this and it works with FSX also? The original poster on CS forums was with FSX I think.

I bought this aircraft myself a few months ago and face palmed at the dismal VC fps.  Mine sits between 15-20.   I find this highly unacceptable given the complexity level of this aircraft verses other 777 options that are far more complicated that yield better performance.     This is on P3D.    I'll try out this little tweak and see if it can push my FPS past the 20 mark that it seems to be stuck at.   I expected better external FPS too as I can usually get a good 45+ at most payware airports in the 737NGX but this plane bounces between 30-40, which is still okay, but still.

A little bit of praise though for this aircraft... I love how it actually puts people in the seats.  Wish more aircraft would show PAX.

Sign in to follow this