Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

737NGX VC Shadows did not work until SP1D

UPDATE!! They work now as of SP1D - ignore this POST and go to the end of the thread.

There are no magic settings that will make them work.

There is a large box around the cockpit in the model which shades the cockpit.

In DX10SF 2.5 there is an accidental flaw that if you move to extreme positions in the cockpit with HD shadows enabled the zooming process that HD shadows uses may clip small portions of the box and temporarily let sunlight through the hole that is created.

This is not a solution as the "hole" in the box moves with your viewpoint. You may occasional see a few fleeting shadows when your viewpoint is in an extreme position combined with a certain sun angle that aligns correctly with the "hole".

If you see a video showing 737NGC VC shadows then it is just showing this phenomenon

To prevent these artefacts I recommend setting the shadow version to 5 in the debug dialog.

Thank you. The so called "proof" video can be taken off youtube now.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Hallo Steve,

VC Shadows is working on my System with my NGX 800WL

with the new SP1d.

I work with the DX10 Toolbox for Shadows......

Great Job to PMDG

Frank from EDDM

WIN 11 64 Pro, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, I7 13700K, be-quiet Loop Silent 2 WK, RTX 3090 OC, 32 GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast EXPO, 4x Nvme Samsung PRO, MS2020, be quiet SP11 850 Watt

I work with the DX10 Toolbox for Shadows......

You no longer need the Toolbox, all you need is ForceVCShadowMap=1 in your FSX.cfg

The first time I ran the new SP1d installer I chose the repair function and ended up with no shadows in the VC, I then completly uninstalled the NGX and ran the installer again.

This time I have the shadows and they look great I must say.

So I know for certain my PMDG_737_800_VC.MDL has not been altered by the Toolbox as it is a completely new install of the SP1d

Could you please provide some screenshots of this? I (think) I got it working - but it's nowhere near the effect as seen in P3D... (dunno if it's supposed to be, though?!)  :mellow:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Could you please provide some screenshots of this? I (think) I got it working - but it's nowhere near the effect as seen in P3D...

http://prntscr.com/6d7shl

And thanks to you, Steve, for making the old sim even more fun due to your fixes. :smile:

PMDG's move might also save you a lot of requests and questions, eh? :BigGrin:

If there is a box around the cockpit now, does that mean that DX10 is not required for the shadows? Just curious, as I'm still using DX9.

If there is a box around the cockpit now, does that mean that DX10 is not required for the shadows? Just curious, as I'm still using DX9.

It is the other way around, there is now no box around the cockpit and you will need Steve's DX10 scenery fixer to see the shadows.

Finally having v/c shadows in the NGX is like a dream coming true, I'm more than happy :D

Haven't had much time testing this out yet but hope I will tomorrow!

Before I start to fiddle around with all shadow settings in DX10SF are there any recommended settings for the NGX in particular to get the best possible result with this a/c?

After reading the DX10SF doc I understood this is very much a trial and error procedure where the settings can give you very different results depending on the a/c and since I do all my flying in the NGX I only need to find the best result for that particular a/c.

Richard Åsberg

I have Direct X 11 installed.. But I'm not able to see any cockpit shadows. Please someone help! Thank you!

You need the DX10 Scenery Fixer installed to get the NGX shadows working in FSX.

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchas

At the moment you are running under DX9 which does not support VC shadowing.

Finally having v/c shadows in the NGX is like a dream coming true, I'm more than happy :D

Haven't had much time testing this out yet but hope I will tomorrow!

Before I start to fiddle around with all shadow settings in DX10SF are there any recommended settings for the NGX in particular to get the best possible result with this a/c?

Screenshots of my DX10 Scenery Fixer settings which are working well are in posts 26 and 48 in the following thread.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463846-pmdg-ngx-sp1d-removes-box-around-cockpit-so-shadows-work/

These settings along with adding ForceVCShadowMap=1 to the [Display] section of your FSX.cfg will get you Shadows in the NGX VC

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463846-pmdg-ngx-sp1d-removes-box-around-cockpit-so-shadows-work/