Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

737NGX VC Shadows did not work until SP1D

Screenshots of my DX10 Scenery Fixer settings which are working well are in posts 26 and 48 in the following thread.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463846-pmdg-ngx-sp1d-removes-box-around-cockpit-so-shadows-work/

These settings along with adding ForceVCShadowMap=1 to the [Display] section of your FSX.cfg will get you Shadows in the NGX VC

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463846-pmdg-ngx-sp1d-removes-box-around-cockpit-so-shadows-work/

Many thanks, will check it out.

Just to add I found in another thread a tip to uncheck Adaptive HD Zoom in the Debug screen to get rid of shadows moving with the eyepoint rather than with the aircraft in relation to the light. With this option unchecked I get zero moving shadows when panning around in the v/c, instead the shadow stay in place and will only move when the aircraft actually moves.

Richard Åsberg

Did you have that problem - moving shadows?

I am aware one person reported that they did and had fixed it with that workaround but no one else yet.

Are you using Ezdok Track IR? if so what versions and do you have the Exdok compatibility flag set.

What zoom factor do you view the cockpit with?

Which 737 model is this and have you altered the model radius in any way?

Did you have that problem - moving shadows?

I am aware one person reported that they did and had fixed it with that workaround but no one else yet.

Are you using Ezdok Track IR? if so what versions and do you have the Exdok compatibility flag set.

What zoom factor do you view the cockpit with?

Which 737 model is this and have you altered the model radius in any way?

Yes, unless I uncheck the Adaptive HD Zoom option I get moving shadows by panning around in the v/c. With the option unchecked I don't get them but instead have shadows that only move with aircraft movement just as it should be.

I'm not using Ezdok but I do use Track-IR.

Normally I'm at .50 zoom level however when having Track-IR active that of course will be different depending on how I move my head and if I lean forward/backwards etc.

This is in the NGX (SP1d) and I haven't altered anything, 100% fresh install.

Richard Åsberg

Ok thanks. If the shadow zoom is too great the it will cause a form of moving shadows. If you watch carefully you should see that most shadows are accurate and don't move but what happens is another shadow appears from nowhere and sweeps across the cockpit. It is this false shadow that is effected by eyepoint.

disabling adaptive zoom reduces the shadow zoom so it all make sense.

What is puzzling is why you and Johnny have a shadow zoom issue with the NGX and Glynn and I don't. Disabling adaptive is fine as a solution but it's still a puzzle whey there. Is a difference.

Thanks for the details Steve and I agree it's very strange why we get different results in the same situation but I'm happy with unticking the adaptive HD shadows so great you included that possibility :smile:

If you want me to do further testing just let me know.

Richard Åsberg

Here's an observation:

At dawn/dusk I get NO cockpit shadows whatsoever, but during the day, the aircraft casts nice shadows over the NGX cockpit panels. Has this maybe something to do with my settings? I just realized watching some videos of NGX in P3D and noticed cockpit shadows even when the sun was touching the horizon. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I noticed this too...no shadows unless during normal daylight so I'm very interested as well in a possible solution if there is one.

Richard Åsberg

I noticed this too...no shadows unless during normal daylight

So a lot like the real world then, shadows diminish as it gets darker.

What you are seeing is probably due to the limitations of the FSX environmental lighting which does not have a lot of granularity.

Here, from 10.10 minutes and out. I cant reproduce shadows like this in FSX. But considering P3D is DX11, its probably reason to second guess...

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I guess Glynn is right and also since the comparison video is P3D rather than FSX that isn't really a fair comparison.

Did like the video though and must admit I'm tempted to give P3D a second chance now that the P3D version of the NGX has been released.

Richard Åsberg

P3D shadows tend to be a bit crisper at the edges in my experience with less of the dancing about.

I guess Glynn is right and also since the comparison video is P3D rather than FSX that isn't really a fair comparison.

Did like the video though and must admit I'm tempted to give P3D a second chance now that the P3D version of the NGX has been released.

I hear you, but now I have spend so much time (with the much appreciated help from you, Richard!!! - alphanorway on youtube  :Peace: ) tweaking FSX:SE and so far I am very happy. The reports on VAS usage in P3D 2.5 are also very promising.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I hear you, but now I have spend so much time (with the much appreciated help from you, Richard!!! - alphanorway on youtube :Peace: ) tweaking FSX:SE and so far I am very happy. The reports on VAS usage in P3D 2.5 are also very promising.

Ah, you're most welcome and I fully understand your position. I'm in the same boat having invested more hours into tweaking FSX to my liking than I'm comfortable thinking of but in the end like many others I do think P3D is the future.

My main concern switching to P3D has been the NGX not available but now that there is a P3D version out the only thing holding me back is airport scenery compatibility with ESSA on the top of the list since that's my home airport.

Richard Åsberg

Here's an observation:

At dawn/dusk I get NO cockpit shadows whatsoever, but during the day, the aircraft casts nice shadows over the NGX cockpit panels. Has this maybe something to do with my settings? I just realized watching some videos of NGX in P3D and noticed cockpit shadows even when the sun was touching the horizon.

That's the way its coded. If you look in DX9 the shadows disappear at the same time. Its about 7 or 8 minutes after the transition from day to dusk starts. The range of the skymap between full light and full shadow should diminish such that the shadows fade gently away.

That's the way its coded. If you look in DX9 the shadows disappear at the same time. Its about 7 or 8 minutes after the transition from day to dusk starts. The range of the skymap between full light and full shadow should diminish such that the shadows fade gently away.

Thanks for confirming Steve.

Richard Åsberg