Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

EZdock or Track IR ?

I just started using TrackIR with OpusFSI. To be effective you need both e.g TrackIR+EzDok or TrackIR+OpusFSI.

OpusFSI also has live weather if already don't have.

If its only one you get for now, then get TrackIR first.

If money's no object then get both. If you have to choose one then go for trackIR. Ezdok is great but support is limited

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

I couldn't afford Trackir so I decided to make a 3 LED cap to use with Freetrack software. It was much easier to make than I thought it would be and only cost a few $$ (££ in my case). It works perfectly with the (free) software for a fraction of the cost of TrackIr. I tried to use my Ezdok with it but they wouldn't play together so I purchased Opus and now have Dynamic Head movement and live weather.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

I couldn't afford Trackir so I decided to make a 3 LED cap to use with Freetrack software. It was much easier to make than I thought it would be and only cost a few $$

I don't understand what kind of hardware you use. Does this work like a track ir ?

I don't understand what kind of hardware you use. Does this work like a track ir ?

Freetrack is an alternative to Track IR. The only hardware you need is LEDs.

There is another alternative called FaceTrackNoIR, that even does not need LEDs, just a normal webcam,

Freetrack is an alternative to Track IR. The only hardware you need is LEDs.

There is another alternative called FaceTrackNoIR, that even does not need LEDs, just a normal webcam,

From some you tubes video is see that one more piece of hardware is needed and that is a web cam. Also the LEDS must have power. Isn't it awkward with battery and cables on your head ? And then there is the question how well it works.

If money's no object then get both. If you have to choose one then go for trackIR. Ezdok is great but support is limited

I just wanted to say that your profile pic is amazing  :lol:

I just wanted to say that your profile pic is amazing  :lol:

Thanks I can do signed 6x4 glossys £3 each or 4 for £10  :P

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

For those who are using or interested in facetracknoIR, one of the dev has been developing another similar program named open track.

The latest version is 2.3 beta.

It supports multi track methods too, among them, the paper marker tracker -- aruco tracker is very promising.

From some you tubes video is see that one more piece of hardware is needed and that is a web cam. Also the LEDS must have power. Isn't it awkward with battery and cables on your head ? And then there is the question how well it works.

Yes, free tack also needs a camera. Can't say about the LEDs and wires as I never used it, but it would be awkward for sure. I only tried facetracknoir, it was pretty decent, but requires lighting for the camera to track your face movements properly, so no go in semi-dark situations. Track IR is more accurate and stable, and no light issues.

Freetrack hasn't been updated for several years now and can be a little temperamental with FSX. FaceTrackNoIR (http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm) on the other hand is being continuously developed, works very well with FSX and, more importantly, it's free! You need a decent webcam and there is a compatibility list on the site but most modern webcams seem to work. By default, FaceTrackNoIR tracks your face (hence the name) and, although it works, it can be jerky and unpredictable. However, if you use it with the built-in Pointracker head tracker and a 3-LED point source it's excellent and easily as good as TrackIR. The point source/clip is easy to make (see http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/point_model.php) but if you're not very handy, you can buy one ready made online - search for Delan clip. The manufacturer even sells the clip with a compatible webcam for less than half the price of TrackIR. The initial setup can be a little fiddly but once done it's smooth and responsive. If you have any difficulty there are working profiles for FSX available to download. The latest version of FaceTrackNoIR also uses the Accela filter which significantly improves the response compared to Freetrack.

OpenTrack (https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack) is another good alternative and has a few more head trackers built in including the ArUco tracker which just requires a small printed card stuck to your hat. I tried OpenTrack but found FaceTrackNoIR to be smoother and more configurable. They're both free so it's worth trying them both to find the one which works best for you. I'm surprised that FaceTrackNoIR and OpenTrack are not much more popular and well known, particularly as they work so well in FSX.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I use TrackIR with neither OPUS or EzDock. I have both programs but I prefer to use it with out the complications. I have had too many issues with either installed. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg