Sign in to follow this  
willywonka

Route 2 automatic clearing

BTW, PFPX will calculate ETPs. Or for a freeware option, SimBrief does it too.

I am still with FSC9. So PFPX will be next...

BTW:

I read that most T7s have ETOPS 330 since 2011 already and that there are restrictions in the southern Pacific area. Probably due to missing sea traffic?

Anyway: if ETOPS=330 THEN "Engines Turning Or Passengers Swim" gets closer, statistically...

A350 is aimed to be ETOPS 420 IIRC. I personally don't like the thought of being over the pole with one engine roaring to keep GS400 to the next APT.

What do you think?

Me?

I dont like long ETOPS sectors either, who does?

Much nicer to have a suitable alternate every 1/2 hour if you ask me.

But there is no need to keep full trottle to stay at 400kt Groundspeed or whatever.

Those times and distances are preflight requirements only....rules and regulations to create a legal flight plan, that is all.

Once you are in flight you can go where ever you think is best.

You dont have to go to the alternate airport planned on your flight plan either.

Dont get me wrong, those planned alternates are preferable because dispatch has checked them for everything (open/nav aids/weather/performance (landing distance/go around climb performance)/ATC available etc etc) but sometimes you cant go there because weather changed for the worse and then you have to check all those things for the airport of your choice.

Safest course of action should be taken to land at the nearest suitable airport.

That could mean reducing thrust a bit and flying slower than those speeds you mentioned......it can mean that you will fly longer than those three hours before you reach your alternate too!

On a non ETOPS flight you can even decide to divert to an enroute alternate that is outside the ETOPS range if it is the safest course of action!

All legal as long as you can give good reasons for your actions.

Pre flight planning requirements are one thing.....but in flight you are the captain and you do what you think is best/safest under the current conditions ;-)

Rob Robson