Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Scenery Configurater

I have just found this great program thru my friends at Misty Moorings.Did a search and could not find the answer to this.It seems I have to save  everything each time I exit or else it goes back to default settings.Am I doing something wrong?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Hello Ron,

If you are referring to the SCE tool, no it should not be necessary to save each time unless you are making edits to the scenery.cfg file.

Once you have all your airports listed and grouped, a simple save to scenery.cfg should suffice.This should be available next time you start FSX.

I wonder if you are saving to the correct file location since scenery.cfg has the 3 locations in FSX??? The correct one is bolded below.

1. In the root of your FSX installation folder: e.g.: D:\FSX
    This is the scenery.cfg that is generated by the standard installation. This file will not be altered by adding new sceneries. A copy of this file is placed:
  2. In the folder C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
  3. In the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX > this is the scenery.cfg FSX is working with.

One other note: The only time the contents of scenery.cfg file revert back to normal  I have found is if I have added Orbx scenery. Under these circumstances the scenery.cfg file reverts back to it's basic form and the custom groups are lost. What I have been doing is saving a backup scenery.cfg file and naming it oldscenery.cfg prior to any installs. This way I can pull back in the most updated version and edit manually in this case. For other installs I find the scenery.cfg is updated correctly and then it's just a matter of assigning the latest scenery install to a specific group I have set up.

If you are still stuck, perhaps posting the steps you are taking would help us figure out what's happening here in your case?

Regards,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

What I have been doing is saving a backup scenery.cfg file and naming it oldscenery.cfg prior to any installs.

You might want to use another file name.

Any time you make a change in the Scenery Library FS saves the old Scenery Library state in a file named oldscenery.cfg, which would overwrite your file.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks very much for the detailed response.I do use Orbx so I will have to do some experimenting.I guess it's no big deal since it always asks if I want to save.Thanks,Ron

In reference to Orbx are you saying it reverts back when you install new Orbx scenery or everytime  you switch to Orbx scenery areas?Thanks,Ron