Sign in to follow this  
Azone

Moving FSX from HD to SSD.

What is the easiest and way to move FSX from HDD to SSD....without messing it up?

I have an empty SSD and FSX is the only folder on an HDD. Can I simply cut n paste FSX to the new SSD then reassign the drive letter to match the old HDD?

Some Expert will be answering your question, as far as i know if you just cut and paste it will be bad idea, please wait for expert advise, 

Thank you 

Best Regards

I have an empty SSD and FSX is the only folder on an HDD. Can I simply cut n paste FSX to the new SSD then reassign the drive letter to match the old HDD?

Yes. Check alignment with AS SSD after you're done, but you should be OK provided that the SSD partition was formatted in Win 7 or 8 

If you wanted to keep the drive letter the same, you could also do it this way: (I probably should have read your post a little more before typing this out so I would realize it's not the solution you need :P )

Simply copy and paste  (or cut and paste, doesn't really matter) the FSX folder to the new location.

Next, open an elevated command prompt (Start > type "cmd", right click the command prompt item that shows up in the search, click "Run as Administrator") and enter the following command: mklink /j <path to original FSX folder> <path to where FSX is now>

Be sure that the FSX folder has been moved out of its original location before running the command. As well, if there are any spaces in either of the file paths, be sure to put quotes ("example") around each path.

For example, if I was moving my FSX from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X to G:\FSX, my mklink command would look like this:

mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" G:\FSX

The mklink command creates a junction in Windows. It essentially forwards an existing directory to look for a folder somewhere else on your PC.

Brandon Filer

If you wanted to keep the drive letter the same, you could also do it this way: (I probably should have read your post a little more before typing this out so I would realize it's not the solution you need :P )

Simply copy and paste  (or cut and paste, doesn't really matter) the FSX folder to the new location.

Next, open an elevated command prompt (Start > type "cmd", right click the command prompt item that shows up in the search, click "Run as Administrator") and enter the following command: mklink /j <path to original FSX folder> <path to where FSX is now>

Be sure that the FSX folder has been moved out of its original location before running the command. As well, if there are any spaces in either of the file paths, be sure to put quotes ("example") around each path.

For example, if I was moving my FSX from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X to G:\FSX, my mklink command would look like this:

mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" G:\FSX

The mklink command creates a junction in Windows. It essentially forwards an existing directory to look for a folder somewhere else on your PC.

Since FSX is not installed on C(x86) I take it all this is not neccessary?

Excellent hint!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Since FSX is not installed on C(x86) I take it all this is not neccessary?

That's not quite what I said, though if you're moving FSX at all, the drive letter needs to either be the same, or Windows needs to think it's the same (regardless of what the letter is). Since you say you're moving it from one empty drive to another and changing the drive letter, my method is not necessary. If you wanted to move it from a drive where you can't afford to have the drive letter change (for example, if you had a program installed on a drive lettered "K"), you'd want to use the method I explained.

Brandon Filer

Got it thanks.  I simply did the cut n paste method and reassigned the drive letter, working fine.