Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

Drop in FPS before getting approach instructions

Yes, this is my second post within a few minutes. Today is my own official "ask the avsim community about my FSX quirks" day.

Anyway, I always fly my flights using default FSX ATC. When I'm a certain number of miles out from an airport, they give my the "XXX, you are ## miles XX, expect vectors Visual/ILS Runway ##X" or something to that effect. The problem is that whenever they make that announcement, I go from a solid 20FPS down to about 2-3FPS as soon as they start the announcement to about 15-30 seconds later, then my FPS goes back to normal. This is incredibly annoying, as it happens EVERY TIME ATC tells me this, and I can't really use anything in the cockpit for that length of time. I can live with it if it can't be fixed, but I'd like everyone's ideas so I can at least try. Thanks.

The best idea I can think of is TURN OFF your FPS counter.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The best idea I can think of is TURN OFF your FPS counter.

? I'm not complaining about little tiny differences in frame rates. In my case, the sim becomes completely unusable for the period of time that I stated above. Is it a major issue? No. Is it annoying? Yes. I asked here to see if there was a way to prevent it.  

Does it do it only on approach to an airport and when ATC gives approach information and not

during the flight when ATC gives turn or altitude changes?  All airports whether default

or payware?  Do you have a high AI setting?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Does it do it only on approach to an airport and when ATC gives approach information and not

during the flight when ATC gives turn or altitude changes?  All airports whether default

or payware?  Do you have a high AI setting?

Yes, all airports regardless of being payware or freeware have this issue. It only happens when I get the initial approach instructions, and not at any other point during the flight. And it doesn't seem to matter what my AI setting it, it still happens.

The last thing I can think of is....are you using EditVoicepack and have you tried increasing the speed

at which ATC talks?  I know it sounds weird but you never know!

Charlie Aron