Sign in to follow this  
PLund

Request regarding Virtuel Cockpit

Hi All,

Got a little request and please don´t turn this subject into a VC vs. 2D war.

I am have been using 2D cockpits since I started simming back in the mid-90s and so the transistion to VC is not an easy one which I think many can rely to. My biggest issues is the views and a few days ago I bought Aerosoft Airbus (A318-321) and was surprise of one thing.

When in VC and the cockpit is zoomed back to fx. .40, the view "outside" (runway view) isn´t changed as it normally does whcih means that I can see my instruments and look outside the window at the same time, one thing I have problems doing with the 777 ect. .

So my question is if its possible to make that work in 777 and the upcoming 747 to ease the transition for many of us who have been used to 2D panels for many many years ?.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Best regards

Peter Lund

Of course it can be done but the 0.4 zoom is unrealistic. It's one of the reasons I switch off the views system in the Aerosoft Airbus. You can't read the displays properly at that setting. Far better to stick with the default 777 zoom and control the view angle when you need to. Ezdok is a great way to do this but that's payware. You can do nearly as well using the mouse to control your view angle while holding down the space bar. You can quickly zoom in and out with the mouse wheel and space bar.

You can also use the A key to cycle quickly between preset views which gives you rapid access to the overhead, pedestal, etc.

I tend to fly at about 0.8 zoom with the view angled down just enough to see the PFD and ND. You can still see a good outside view like this. But it's all a matter of personal preference.

ki9cAAb.jpg

But it's all a matter of personal preference.

Off Topic - That is one good looking DC-9 with your signature.

Off Topic - That is one good looking DC-9 with your signature.

Glad you like it. It's from a photo I found online of the first airliner I flew in, from EGNX to EGJJ. I photoshopped the background which was a bit busy (and "retracted" the gear).

ki9cAAb.jpg

Need to correct myself. It´s zoom .70 I am using with the Airbus, but my question remains the same.

Is there a way so I can see my instruments the same time I look out of the window without and still have a realistic view outside ?.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Need to correct myself. It´s zoom .70 I am using with the Airbus, but my question remains the same.

Is there a way so I can see my instruments the same time I look out of the window without and still have a realistic view outside ?.

I think if I use a zoom of .8, I can see from the speed and alt of the PFD on up, and most of the view out the window. That should be sufficient.

Kyle Rodgers

When in VC and the cockpit is zoomed back to fx. .40, the view "outside" (runway view) isn´t changed as it normally does whcih means that I can see my instruments and look outside the window at the same time, one thing I have problems doing with the 777 ect. .

Ok you meant zoom to .70......but what do you mean with "outside" view is not changed?

When you press +or- to zoom you change zoom factor for everything, both inside and outside.

Unless the Airbus has some sort of feature that I do not know about?

THE reason why I use multiple displays is exactly to overcome the problem of not being able to read my PFD/ND at realistic (in my case I mean 100% zoom with that) zoom levels.

I have the PFD and ND on a second monitor so no matter what I do with VC zoom they allways stay the same size (and they stay in the same position).

You do know you can click on the PFD and ND to get sizable 2D popups right?!

Having said that....you should be able to have a readable PFD and ND when using 70-80% zoom, as well as see a bit outside (as Kyle said).

And if you were to use TrackIR to look slightly up or down it becomes even easier.

The same can be done with something like EZdok or OPUS FSX......just create a VC view that is slightly up from center and a view that is slightly down from center and have them both assigned under the same key.....this way you can just toggle up and down, up and down, the whole time on final (same thing as Kevin suggested).

Rob Robson