Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

FSX Users (DSR and DX10)

FSX users, I have seen so much P3D talk i felt this was warranted. 

Can you run DSR and DX10 in FSX without the fixer? If so what are the settings that seems to offer the best visuals. Thanks for any and all input guys.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

It's simple but you can reduce the antialising if you want. Since DSR improve the quality of everything even with edges

Walter Almaraz

4.jpg

If you really want to use DX10 preview, get and install the updated DX10 shaders from the AVSIM library.  The as-is DX10 preview has some serious issues which this free update corrects, also these free shaders were developed for the paid Fixer app.  Once you got that installed, be aware that Nvidia Inspector AA settings are ignored by FSX when using DX10 preview.  There are threads here in this DX10 forum which discuss the details of setting up AA for DX10, but just having the AA and AF boxed checked in FSX will yield very good DSR results without having to deal with custom fsx.cfg AA settings. Note that with DSR, the FSX and ATC menus, and some GPS display info shrink to a nearly illegible size.

I use DSR with DX10 preview and I've found the best results are obtained by having AA enabled though some claim AA is not necessary (which I'll agree but the results are not nearly as impressive).  One huge benefit from using DSR is that transparency super sampled AA (GSAA) is not needed; and not only that the overhead of 4x DSR with AA enabled is actually is equivalent to, and sometimes less than, applying GSAA without DSR with the same AA settings, at least with my gtx 780 driving a single 1920x1080 panel.  I use a DSR factor of 4x with 25% smoothing with this card.  BTW FSX is the only app I can get away with using 4x DSR while maintaining good performance. I bet it's because I'm using a 30 fps limit. 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

If you don't have the DX10 fixer, I suggest that you buy it.

I used Paul's guide and I'm able to run the fixer at 8x and Inspector at 8SGSS. My sim now looks better than when using dx9.

Once you learn what to do, you will never want to go back to dx9. Ever!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Do you ever get weird shadows on the exterior of the aircraft, ie A319/320 from Aerosoft covering the whole fuselage for example when it shouldn't be shadowed at that angle? It seems that's happening with all shadows ticked in settings, and frcevcshadows=1 line in fsx.cfg. 

Do you ever get weird shadows on the exterior of the aircraft, ie A319/320 from Aerosoft covering the whole fuselage for example when it shouldn't be shadowed at that angle? It seems that's happening with all shadows ticked in settings, and frcevcshadows=1 line in fsx.cfg.

I don't use that plane, but I have not noticed this with the planes I fly.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.