Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Love what ASN does but man does it kill my FPS,Help!

Without ASN running I can run 35% traffic(mytraffic 2013)Rex 4 clouds at 2048,Flightbeam KIAD with almost every slider all the way to the right (Autogen is set at dense.) In the PMDG 777 during a major Thunderstorm and still get 40+ FPS on the ground with ASN running I have to cut the clouds to 1024,lower the traffic to 15%, and set the max cloud layers to 3 just to get 30 fps on an ok weather day if the weather is bad its down in the 20s. I know this isnt bad FPS but what on earth is happening to kill my FPS! I know that FSX in DX10 mode runs AA on all the clouds but like I said I can still manage 40+FPS if ASN isnt making the weather even on an overcast day with the same AA settings.

Any hints for ASN performance? I like the program but if its gonna kill FPS like this then I'd rather just use the default realworld weather. The problem is even worse if fly the new A320 from Aerosoft I see dips into the high teens.

My system is no slow poke

I7-4790k at 4.5ghz

GTX980

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It isnt ASN as much as its the cloud textures.

I can run a full overcast day, thunderstorms ect and still get great FPS with HD clouds (2048) if I use the default realworld weather or use one of the default weather profiles but when ASN loads the weather my FPS are way down it makes no sense unless its loading a lot more clouds. i understand that it will take some FPS to do what it does but 20fps that seems like to much considering I've lowered other settings aswell if I leave everything the same I'm in the teens.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

ASN user here and I agree that getting a full overcast layer with ASN takes a huge hit on performance, even with 1024MB textures. I have to set cloud density to medium, which in turn will make it almost impossible to have a completely overcast soup. You will still see breaks in the clouds. I think it's due to how ASN creates the layer. Overall, ASN is so good that I have accepted this compromise and just learned to live without being able to display a true overcast layer.

Don't get me wrong, ASN is the best when it comes to creating an overcast layer. I've flown in them and they are amazing, but the performance hit is too big and thus making the sim almost unflyable.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial Active Sky Support Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Did you try to browse through all ASN settings and uncheck all those options which clearly say "hit on performance"? Maybe try to do that.

I remember topic, where it turned out, that someone had ticked some option to have unique clouds shapes and had massive fps impact.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I lowered my amount of cloud layers to 3,that helped my performance.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Did you try to browse through all ASN settings and uncheck all those options which clearly say "hit on performance"? Maybe try to do that.

I remember topic, where it turned out, that someone had ticked some option to have unique clouds shapes and had massive fps impact.

Lukasz

Enhance overcast conditions turned off can make a huge difference too.

also look at what addons you have:payware planes, payware airports, REX,etc.  addons can bring it down bad. theres always 1 other thing spend money and build you own pc thats should also do it.

Without ASN running I can run 35% traffic(mytraffic 2013)Rex 4 clouds at 2048,Flightbeam KIAD with almost every slider all the way to the right (Autogen is set at dense.) In the PMDG 777 during a major Thunderstorm and still get 40+ FPS on the ground with ASN running I have to cut the clouds to 1024,lower the traffic to 15%, and set the max cloud layers to 3 just to get 30 fps on an ok weather day if the weather is bad its down in the 20s. I know this isnt bad FPS but what on earth is happening to kill my FPS! I know that FSX in DX10 mode runs AA on all the clouds but like I said I can still manage 40+FPS if ASN isnt making the weather even on an overcast day with the same AA settings.

Any hints for ASN performance? I like the program but if its gonna kill FPS like this then I'd rather just use the default realworld weather. The problem is even worse if fly the new A320 from Aerosoft I see dips into the high teens.

My system is no slow poke

I7-4790k at 4.5ghz

GTX980

how the hell are u getting 40+ in in the 777 thats my question. Is ur fps unlimited or locked?

"how the hell are u getting 40+ in in the 777 thats my question."

And, was it it FSX or P3D V2.5?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I had to tinker with ASN after I got my sim up to par.  

Par for my course is all my favs like FTX Global with Vector, PMDGs, Aerosofts, FlyTampa's etc.  

I remember when It was just the NGX and ASN.  Ran like 60fps on the ground.  Those days are gone.  So I had to compromise.  

Tinkering is ENDLESS in this sim, but that's the way we like it, right?  What if we couldn't tinker?  What if we just had to deal with what we got like most games?  It would suck.  

Cloud layers at 3, most of the goodies off.  I left on that cloud blending thing where it simulated going through clouds and losing vis because that sh!t is just cool.  Lower your max cloud draw too.  You don't need to draw 100nm worth of weather.  

I dunno.  Just play with it until you find a happy medium.  I find the worst part is transitioning through clouds which is usually 5000-3000 then I get back up to suitable frames for approach.  

Without ASN running I can run 35% traffic(mytraffic 2013)

Download and run the "Traffic Optimizer" addon:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451383-traffic-optimizer-for-fsxp3d/?hl=%20traffic%20%20optimizer

Also, there is very little advantage of using the 2048 REX clouds. One is better off with the REX 512 soft clouds and they look just fine. 

Would soft clouds run better than the REX4 default clouds?  I'm currently using the lowest quality set, but if I can squeeze some better performance by using soft clouds then I'd love to try that. 

The soft cloud sets are the same resolution as the REX 4 TD lowest quality sets (512). It shouldn't matter, but you should probably ask that question on the REX support forum, just to be sure.