Sign in to follow this  
Agovico261

How to change approaches

Hello. I have a problem. When user and ai aircraft are approaching PHNL (Honolulu international airport, Oahu island) they go around the island. The real approach is it goes over the airport and turns towards the runway (like San Francisco if you are approaching East of the airport). Is there any way I can change the approach or download an application that does it for me?

For the default airport, the file that Peter linked to is the best there is. The parking is a bit outdated now but can easily be updated with AFCAD. I have taken this file (the airport) and opened it with Airport Design Editor and used that to import Jim Viles' scenery file(s) and his approach file as well as adding the military facilities. I also updated the cross wind runway set up with a more modern method provided right in ADE. All in all, what Jim packaged and uploaded as it stands is still a vast improvement of the stock airport and approaches.

If you are using a freeware add on airport or a payware airport you may have to resort to learning ADE and how to write the approach yourself with the caveat that if the appropriate runway(s) have not been moved by the scenery creators the approach file created by Jim should still work, placed according to his original instructions ( just don't use any of his other files!).

To answer you question as asked, "How to change Approaches?", the most straight forward answer would be; With Airport Design Editor (assuming a stock airport or a simple modified AFCAD airport), open the stock airport with ADE. It will automatically import every thing related to the airport including the approaches. From there you would need to go to the Approach Mode section, find the approach you wish to change and manually edit the data. Save the project and compile the airport. I've done it quite a few times as well as create entirely new approaches. I hopes this helps you out and gives you the answer you needed.

Regards,

What I want to do is for the plane to fly parallel to the runway south of the runway then make a right turn to start its approach to the runway. What the sim does is it flies around the island from the north then starts it's approach. I want it to be different but Is it possible?

I have ADE but I don't know how to use the approach mode.

Start ADE and load PHNL. In the far upper right hand corner of ADE click on the 'Approach Mode' button. Once ADE changes to that mode go to the 'Lists' tab and click on that then in the drop down menu click on 'Approaches'. In on the new window that opens select the approach you wish to modify, double left click on it and ADE will open it and display it as well as the data on the right. Click on each leg of the approach to make your changes.

I want it to be different but Is it possible?

Yes it is.

Regards,