Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Depressing... Hot Downloads section..

Is all AI traffic for FSX and FS9.

That says two things to me:

People love their freeware AI traffic but they love their payware aircraft (due to lack of freeware releases!)

Is freeware dead?  Other than Dino's jets and a recent Zlin Z-142....  I've not seen any excellent releases around.

Thoughts?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's not going to die. The reason for this is that we have a constantly growing number of Addons that push the limit of what devs can do in FSX. They decide to sell their detailed aircraft. Thus making "lite" aircraft (ie. Freeware) seem less relevant. I still, however use the library for repaints, misc scenery, AFCADs, not for aircraft anymore unfortunately.

%95 of my aircraft are Payware. 7 years ago, they were free.

For aircraft? It may already be dead. At least for me. The rest is still useful.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

It's not what it used to be. With FSX the bar was raised in terms of graphics and complexity and it became challenging to make quality aircraft. There aren't many good payware aircraft out there either if you let A2A, Realair, Milviz, PMDG and a few others set the bar.

The C-47 by Manfred Jahn is pretty good. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=17656&catid=34

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The File Library General Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Oh, for the love of...

This thread isn't about the file library!

It's about the future (or lack of one) of payware for FSX!

Would somebody please dial down the mod-bots, or tweak their AI routines, or do something to stop the mindless re-positioning of threads into obscure subforums where nobody will ever find them?

A couple of weeks ago, A2A announced their upcoming C182, and the thread got moved to the videos forum because it had a video in it.

Now this one gets moved to the file library forum because the OP mentioned the file library.

I suppose anyone foolish enough to use the word "hangar" will see his or her thread zapped over to Hangar Chat.

Please, mods - think before you zap!

Freeware aircraft are dead. No one wants fly them, so why continue making them?

I understand the frustration, but I hope that Manfred Jahn doesn't feel that way... and that on good days, you don't, either.

Well there is a freeby a/c out I hope before Christmas. Uncompressed the gauges, panels and checklists already exceed 600mb.

Please, mods - think before you zap!

Take a deep breath Alan... You don't look good in blue. ^_^

Is all AI traffic for FSX and FS9.

Well, I read the OP's post and believe (hope) I understand his initial question - seems as if he was asking about AI Aircraft models.

While any freeware download can be used as an AI aircraft model, it has to be called or assigned (one way or another) to actually show up.

I've purchased two different AI Aircraft packages, and though they were both splendid I found the models had a fairly significant memory footprint. As such, this could pose a problem when flying an aircraft like the PMDG NGX or PMDG 777 by pushing one towards an Out of Memory (OOM) problem.  The solution for me was to uninstall the payware AI aircraft software and instead I used low resolution models, which looked great!

By far the best AI Aircraft freeware package I've seen in 26+ years is the MTL provided for free by IVAO.  I'll tell you what, the guys behind the IVAO Aircraft library deserve all the praise and thanks the community can muster!  The library is not only impressively comprehensive, it is fully coordinated and updated regularly. Presently the IVAO MTL is over 6000 aircraft models, spanning numerous airlines and aircraft types.

My hats off to the IVAO MTL team, who gave and continue to give a LOT of their time putting this library together.  They have given back to the Flight Simulation Community in a way that is tough to match. The MTL is available to anyone who signs up and installs the IVAO Pilot Client software, and it works both online and offline.  You can find the software by visiting the IVAO website.

Happy flying my friends!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Take a deep breath Alan... You don't look good in blue. ^_^

Roger that - though I thought it was more of a bright red...  B)

Speaking calmly - hope that where there are judgment calls to be made about thread placement, you guys will opt for the higher traffic forums, all things being equal.

Of course, the "latest post" summaries at the top of the page make everything easier to find.  Hey, I found this one... or had you noticed?

Taking an additional breath and returning you to your regular programming, already in progress...

I understand the frustration, but I hope that Manfred Jahn doesn't feel that way... and that on good days, you don't, either.

Can't speak for him, but I find it harder to motivate myself to go on with anything airplane related. Catering for the wrong crowd (the airliner sector contains seems to be 90% composed of wallets with internet access), having the wrong distribution model (libraries don't allow efficient version control and any stuff in forums gets swallowed much too quickly), an entirely counterproductive philosophy (K.I.S.S. isn't appreciated anymore) and kind of sick of the general passivity (consume, consume, request, bit###, then consume some more).

Maybe I should just slap a pricetag on my stuff so that I'm not dependant on gratitude for motivation anymore*.

(*Can't do that due to using third-party stuff.)

Well there is a freeby a/c out I hope before Christmas. Uncompressed the gauges, panels and checklists already exceed 600mb.

Yikes!

Okay, a lot of bitmaps and sounds, but still...

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Yikes!

Okay, a lot of bitmaps and sounds, but still...

No!! There are about 700 gauges. There's a lot of work for a single sim pilot.

Maybe I should just slap a pricetag on my stuff so that I'm not dependant on gratitude for motivation anymore*.

(*Can't do that due to using third-party stuff.)

From my experience you'd better stick with the gratitude.

Let's see, on my install of FSX there are... six payware aircraft

PMDG Express B1900C- there was no other choice at the time.

FSD PA31-350- there was no other choice.

Sky Unlimited P-38- seemed like the best when I bought it.

MilViz C310R- there was no other choice at the time.

Carenado B58- better than the default Baron and no other choice.

Flysimware C402B- there was no other choice.

All of the other aircraft in my FSX are freeware and there are a bunch of them.  I do think that the community expects a much higher level of modeling in freeware today than they did a few years ago.  I levels of modeling means time, so I don't expect to see new freeware popping up nearly as fast as it used to, but when it does it is usually quite nice and well worth downloading.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.