Sign in to follow this  
rubrog

time remaining to lannding

Hello !

Can anyone please tell me how I can see when my accual landing will be? When i plan the flight i pfpx, i get a ETA and STA, but how can i see when to increase or decrease my cost index to make the STA? Do i just go through the steps on the CDU?

Can anyone please tell me how I can see when my accual landing will be?

PROG page.

When i plan the flight i pfpx, i get a ETA and STA, but how can i see when to increase or decrease my cost index to make the STA?

Go to the PERF INIT page where you set your CI. Change the CI. Go to the PROG page. Check the ETA.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't concern myself too much with it. If you plan in PFPX using a CI of 50 and fly with 50 in the sim, you should be reasonably close without hyperfocusing on it. STA is a planned estimate. Airlines usually pad their numbers, too. If you look at an airline's time table against something like FlightAware, you'll see that they're normally "early," when in fact, the timetable just has an inflated ETE to make them seem early.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you ! I like to do everything as close to the reality as it gets ;D Yes pfpx does a pretty good job, but the winds can change and so on when i'm on a long haul

Thank you ! I like to do everything as close to the reality as it gets ;D Yes pfpx does a pretty good job, but the winds can change and so on when i'm on a long haul

You're welcome.

If you're looking for "as close to reality as it gets" then I'd stop worrying about it. It's pretty rare that the crew would change the CI or cruise speed without being told to do so (by ATC or dispatch). The dispatcher/scheduler knows that, for longer flights, the margin of error increases regarding the STA and the ETA. It's just a fact of life.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok ! :D Tnx for the replies!

Yeah in the ngx.. I dont mean 15 hour flights, but 4-5 hours :-) I dont have time for longer flights like in the t7, so i mean long haul for the ngx ;)

I consider KSNA-PHOG long haul in the B737-700... flew a Continental (before merger) and was surprised to see a -700 in their fleet but it was probably one of their few ETOPS rated airframes.  Noted ETOPS stenciled right on the nose wheel doors, as if to say look at me I am different. LOL.

Dan Downs KCRP

You're welcome.

If you're looking for "as close to reality as it gets" then I'd stop worrying about it. It's pretty rare that the crew would change the CI or cruise speed without being told to do so (by ATC or dispatch). The dispatcher/scheduler knows that, for longer flights, the margin of error increases regarding the STA and the ETA. It's just a fact of life.

Actually, it's pretty common that we change the cruise speed.  If we are early we may slow it down a bit and save some fuel.  If it's the go home leg we may speed it up a bit.  Many times the flight plan calls for .80.  In that case almost everybody slows down to .70-.79 because the airplane is so loud at .80.  It's rare that we actually fly the flight plan speeds exactly.

Actually, it's pretty common that we change the cruise speed.  If we are early we may slow it down a bit and save some fuel.  If it's the go home leg we may speed it up a bit.  Many times the flight plan calls for .80.  In that case almost everybody slows down to .70-.79 because the airplane is so loud at .80.  It's rare that we actually fly the flight plan speeds exactly.

I think it was pretty clear what I was getting at given the topic of this thread:

You're not going to the PROG page and trying to manually RTA yourself to the airport. You just make a judgment call based on your experience.

Kyle Rodgers

I think it was pretty clear what I was getting at given the topic of this thread:

You're not going to the PROG page and trying to manually RTA yourself to the airport. You just make a judgment call based on your experience.

Yeah, I see that now.  That's what I get for skimming the thread.