Sign in to follow this  
tman94

PMDG 777 FMC CRASH

My PMDG 777 crashes while on approach as I am configuring the FMC. This issues is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING considering I just flew a 10 1/2 hr flight to come upon approach and face the dreaded OOM or CTD, or FSX IS NOT RESPONDING crap. This is the third time this has happened after taking many steps to try and diagnose this issue.

Why is it that PMDG has the guts to sell $100 addons like their PMDG 777 and not provide a direct customer service option even though they KNOW that this game is already unstable, and they KNOW people are bound to face issues such as this. PMDG, your products are great. But when you make them available to a game that has long since been abandoned by the original producers, and charge ridiculous amounts for them, you should make them as invulnerable to crashes and interference that have long been diagnosed and observed by simmers for the last 8 years, and at least provide a refundable policy! Why is it that every other addon I use works fine and does not crash, whereas you $100 dollar product cannot even complete a full flight? I need a refund, if you have a "no refund" policy, that is absolutely ridiculous because at this point you are just stealing peoples money and not providing any kind of direct support which is ######!! Most flight sim companies have grace periods and refund policies because they KNOW that FSX is buggy and they KNOW people will be ###### off spending hundreds of dollars for something they can not use.

--- That was my rant because I am just so fed up with this game and these issues, I am moving to X PLANE. Good luck dedicated FSX users and so long! SMH  :t0102:  :angry2:

Feel better after your rant?  Unfortunately, you didn't provide any information that allows others to help you. Also, forum rules require a full name on your posts.

not provide a direct customer service option

There most certainly is a direct customer product support available, as noted in several locations on their home page: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/Main/Default.aspx

The most obvious is often the correct so I have to recommend you read the INTRODUCTION and pay attention to the very thorough section on virtural memory and OOM errors.

Dan Downs KCRP

Sounds more like he has an FSX or scenery issue than a PMDG issue. Oh well

Why is it that PMDG has the guts to sell $100 addons like their PMDG 777 and not provide a direct customer service option even though they KNOW that this game is already unstable, and they KNOW people are bound to face issues such as this.

You mean like the direct Customer Support Portal at http://support.precisionmanuals.com/Main/Default.aspx ?

and charge ridiculous amounts for them

Boeing data costs money.

you should make them as invulnerable to crashes and interference that have long been diagnosed and observed by simmers for the last 8 years

So you start off by saying FSX is unstable, but you're going to claim that a developer make its product invulnerable to crashes? That's impossible. I'm sorry, but that's an unreasonable request.

and at least provide a refundable policy!

It's a digital product. How can they be assured that you've actually deleted it and aren't continuing to use it? If they offered a refund policy, what's to stop someone from buying it, installing it, registering it, and then asking for a refund claiming they deleted it.

That's like going to a restaurant, ordering food, eating the entire plate of food, and then asking to have it refunded because it was terrible.

I understand that what you are going through is very frustrating (I've been short changed on many long haul flights in FSX - regardless of developer), but can we step off the ledge for a second here and attempt to address this rationally?

• The platform is unstable, so no matter how perfect a software dev makes their product, it will always be subject to the issues of the platform.
  • Support is available at the above link, or here (you might not know it yet, but you're actually already getting support).
  • Making FSX more stable is actually possible. Everyone here can help with that.
  • Refunds for digitally downloaded products would make theft too easy. Regardless of how other people handle this, you have to be able to at least see why a company might not want to offer a refund policy for digital products.

Kyle Rodgers

first of all my  friend it is not a game no one forced to part with your money. You should summit a ticket (without the threats to PMDG Support)  link above . They will sort you out. I know what your frustration is like as I have attempted many flights from EGLL to KJFK unsuccessful and 8+ hours but I still persevere as I know the people on here will help me. As for you moving to Xplane, good luck with the support

My PMDG 777 crashes while on approach as I am configuring the FMC. This issues is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING considering I just flew a 10 1/2 hr flight to come upon approach and face the dreaded OOM or CTD, or FSX IS NOT RESPONDING crap. This is the third time this has happened after taking many steps to try and diagnose this issue.

Dude, I feel ya. Judging by the substance and tone of your post, I am guessing this was made right after the freeze. We've all been there, especially with the FMC issue. Internet forums can be a dangerous place to be when you're upset.

It happens to me more often than not. I am convinced that there is nothing more PMDG can do. The complexity of the PMDG simulator, all of the other add ons, and the increasingly ancient FSX all too often to form a perfect storm of "this program is not responding." It's not PMDG's fault. One of the "dangers" in using a fully modeled add on in a systems intensive simulator is annoying stuff like the FMC. It's happened to me a bunch of times, most often when I am switching windows (say from PFPX or an aerodrome pdf back to FSX). I'm back in the flightdeck, click the FMC screen for a pop up, and boom, freeze.

Read the Introduction manual. Read the forums. Google this or that and make your tweaks. I've done it all, made tweaks, and like I said, it is far from the perfect solution. 

In my opinion, this is the only solution (to date): save like crazy. Make it a habit. It's a pain, and for those that don't, I feel little sympathy. It needs to be added at the end of every ECL checklist and added to points in SIDs, STARS, and flightplans. 

I've found FSDT airports, GSX, cloudy weather with ASN, and multiple windows on my rig to be problematic. My suggestion is to save a flight called "0 Current" This makes sure that it is always at the top of the list on your saved flights FSX menu. Then save

1) Halfway through flight prep

2) Right before pushback

3) Holding short of runway

4) Top of cruise

5) For longhauls with ETOPS I often save near ETPs or NAT entrys. Otherwise, make sure you do it at least three times.

6) Top of descent

7) FL180 / altimeter check

8) Turning final

Make it a muscle memory / part of your checklist, and when it happens, just reboot and load the flight.

Save. Save. Save. And then Save again.

Just buy FSUIPC if you haven't already and use the autosave feature, then whenever your FSX crashes you can load the latest save, select the panel state which was saved with it and continue the flight. It has saved my nerves with many different addon aircraft.

To me the 777 has been one of the most stable high complexity aircraft so far. 

Regards,

Joona L

Just buy FSUIPC

You would totally benefit from FSUIPC's autosave feature!

Shamefully, I had no idea this feature was in FSUIPC. Worst part? I already own FSUIPC but it's the only payware I have bought that I don't actually use. I have a CH set up (yoke, pedals, throttle) but I only use the yoke and pedals, calibrated / programmed directly through FSX. For some reason, FSUIPC is kinda like FSInn. I never could really understand how to use / program either one as they were intended. Admittedly, this was due to my own laziness and schedule. I simply couldn't find the time to master FSUIPC. Perhaps this is my wake up call 

I simply couldn't find the time to master FSUIPC.
FSUIPC is pretty much a set-and-forget program. It was also very useful back in FS2000 days for its weather and environment smoothing, but we have better control of the weather via dedicated programs now. There are still a lot of neat stuff in the program, like autosave, time sync/corrections, and I think most people use it for controls/buttons mapping. And now it even warns you if you're close to VAS limit!

The autosave is in Misc tab I think. You can set it up to save at an interval, and only keep a number of flights.

Everyone I am sorry for my rant. I was really frustrated and tired. I apologize. I have been simming for a long time now, and I know most of the "tweaks" and adjustments you can make to FSX so it does not crash, and they do work. I have the free version of FSUIPC installed. I am up to date with my PMDG products. I just dont understand what could possible go wrong. As DONOR has said, I will persevere and again look for solutions because I am passionate about it. Thanks for the help. 

Dude, I feel ya. Judging by the substance and tone of your post, I am guessing this was made right after the freeze. We've all been there, especially with the FMC issue. Internet forums can be a dangerous place to be when you're upset.

It happens to me more often than not. I am convinced that there is nothing more PMDG can do. The complexity of the PMDG simulator, all of the other add ons, and the increasingly ancient FSX all too often to form a perfect storm of "this program is not responding." It's not PMDG's fault. One of the "dangers" in using a fully modeled add on in a systems intensive simulator is annoying stuff like the FMC. It's happened to me a bunch of times, most often when I am switching windows (say from PFPX or an aerodrome pdf back to FSX). I'm back in the flightdeck, click the FMC screen for a pop up, and boom, freeze.

Read the Introduction manual. Read the forums. Google this or that and make your tweaks. I've done it all, made tweaks, and like I said, it is far from the perfect solution. 

In my opinion, this is the only solution (to date): save like crazy. Make it a habit. It's a pain, and for those that don't, I feel little sympathy. It needs to be added at the end of every ECL checklist and added to points in SIDs, STARS, and flightplans. 

I've found FSDT airports, GSX, cloudy weather with ASN, and multiple windows on my rig to be problematic. My suggestion is to save a flight called "0 Current" This makes sure that it is always at the top of the list on your saved flights FSX menu. Then save

1) Halfway through flight prep

2) Right before pushback

3) Holding short of runway

4) Top of cruise

5) For longhauls with ETOPS I often save near ETPs or NAT entrys. Otherwise, make sure you do it at least three times.

6) Top of descent

7) FL180 / altimeter check

8) Turning final

Make it a muscle memory / part of your checklist, and when it happens, just reboot and load the flight.

Yea, I guess we're all in the same boat then. I'll try to make that a habit.. But it would be awesome if FS just didn't crash at all because it is so beautiful and realistic when it works and the frame rates aren't suffering. Maybe Dovetail will work around those issues with their version of FS, and expand it even farther while utilizing as little resources as possible.   Thanks for the reply.

Just buy FSUIPC if you haven't already and use the autosave feature, then whenever your FSX crashes you can load the latest save, select the panel state which was saved with it and continue the flight. It has saved my nerves with many different addon aircraft.

To me the 777 has been one of the most stable high complexity aircraft so far. 

Regards,

Joona L

thanks, ill look into buying it if that is the only real solution. 

Wow. Overkill but it will definitely help with the OOM frustration. OTOH, I save just once. Just before or just after T/D. Even though I have FSUIPC I find that it does not quite save my FMC data with the rest of the flight parameters so I just use the built-in FSX Save As function.

• Two important considerations are the use of Process Explorer (which will show you, at a glance, your VAS usage (available at: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals) and SceneryConfigEditor. This is from the About menu of SCE:

"1.1 What is the Scenery Config Editor?

It's a utility for editing your Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X
scenery.cfg files.

1.2 Why is this better than using the FSX editor or other editors?
There are multiple new additional features included in this program, including the ability to create groups, automatic detection of some errors, automatic fixing of other errors, abilities to add areas in bulk, drag-and-drop functionality... and many more. Further, it's open source.

1.3 Does anyone else have anything to say?
This utility is designed to enable easier editing of your flightsim scenery configuration (.cfg) file.
It was developed to allow the grouping of scenery areas to enable your flightsim to run with only the scenery areas you require for that particular flight. This will allow flightsim to allocate more resources to running the program by minimising the amount of scenery enabled. It is hoped this will also improve loading times, but this has not been fully tested.
The marker system allows easier identification of scenery's that have been installed incorrectly, and improves the functionality of any editing. We hope you find this handy program useful.
Kev Smith BAW044

1.4 Open source, under what license?
This software is licensed under the GPL v2 with Classpath exception. You can find the source-code and latest releases of this software at:
Support, bug and feature request trackers can also be found there. New file are released at:

With Process Explorer simply keep an eye on your FSX VAS usage and whenever you see it creeping up to the 3.8GB mark save your flight, reboot the machine, load and you're flying again with a nicely depleted FSX VAS which will allow you to complete the flight without incident.
If you are running photoscenery...TURN IT OFF. Heavy metal flights do not require it. Turn it on (selectively) for your VFR flights (through Scenery Configurator).

A pain? Yes, but this is FSX. It has to be mollycoddled. Follow the advice readily available here and in many other places on the web and your PMDG experience will suddenly become all worthwhile.

:drinks:

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | P3D v.4.5 | MSFS |

Tony K.

Even though I have FSUIPC I find that it does not quite save my FMC data with the rest of the flight parameters
:unsure2: Hmmm I never had this problem.

By the way, does it help FSX to refresh/clear the scenery memories if you force a scenery refresh? Like changing the time, or add/remove an area inflight?

FSPS also said that they're working on a program that will eliminate OOMs....  :Yawn:

By the way, does it help FSX to refresh/clear the scenery memories if you force a scenery refresh? Like changing the time, or add/remove an area inflight?

I would argue that it would likely make it worse, honestly. I don't have hard numbers on that, though. What I do know is that FSX has very poor memory management.

Kyle Rodgers

Not that this is a fix in any way, but like others have suggested...using a save feature would help with the frustration of losing a long flight right at the end.

If you don't want to use FSUIPC's autosave feature, I can highly recommend the freeware FSXSave (here at Avsim I believe).  It works perfectly with the 777, saves all the data of the flight (FMC data), and can be adjusted to save at whatever interval you wish. (I left it at every 10 mins).  Plus it creates and stores as many saves as you wish (I leave that at the default 10 as well).

Not that I've been among the unlucky one that have constant OOM problems and freezes (but I do get them every so often, usually of my own doing...running too many other apps in the background), but when I have...it is a GREAT relief to know that I only lost the last 10 mins of my 14 hour flight.  :wink:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg