Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

About to set off on an Appalachian tour (A2A 182T)

New Market, Virginia

Just a couple to begin with, but I'll add more to this thread as the tour progresses.

Aircraft is obviously the sublimely beautiful A2A C182T, and scenery is the greatly under-rated "VFR Appalachia" by Pacific Island Simulations (PacSim).

:smile:

110.jpg

210.jpg

greatly under-rated..... Pacific Island Simulations (PacSim).

Very true. I look forward to more pics. I never got around to this, being so far from my understanding of where the Pacific Islands are! Maybe this will change my mind.

Mike

Whoooooahhhh, this strip !! .... it's called WV31 - Cheat River and it's part of the PacSim VFR Appalachia pack.... it blows away any Orbx field I've flown, for approach challenge.    And in the A2A, you can feel every bump on this dusty strip.     Oh I'm in the 172 for this leg  (need more landing practice!).

111.jpg

211.jpg

310.jpg

410.jpg

Back in the 182T, and this time up to MD99 - Moran Field, Maryland

Seriously, if you love small, rural strips (Orbx-style) and you haven't bought PacSim's VFR Appalachia (8 airfilelds for 12 Euros, on sale at Simmarket at the moment), you are insane!! :smile:    (especially if you like US flying).

112.jpg

311.jpg

411.jpg

they even gave me a covered hangar for my stay here  :wink:

212.jpg

Gorgeous!!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Awesome, Craig. Do you have a flight plan you intend to fly throughout the Appalachians?

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Bruce.

Awesome, Craig. Do you have a flight plan you intend to fly throughout the Appalachians?

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Bruce.

Hey Bruce,

One thing the PacSim "VFR Appalachia" package doesn't come with, is maps or charts.  But I just took a screen grab of the area from Google maps, and then I checked the location of each airfield using the same, and marked them on to my screen grab.  

The result was this :-   (appreciate you can't see the detail here!)

20141110.jpg

So my route of flight is :-

Martinsburk KMRB (WV) > Front Royal KFRR (VA) > New Market 8W2 (VA) > Ingalls Field KHSP (VA) > Cheat River WV31 (WV) > Moran Field MD99 (MD) > Nemacolin Resort PA88 (PA) > Seven Springs 7SP (PA) > Martinsburk KMRB (WV).

It's a fantastic tour (especially in Fall or Winter), and I know I keep chirping on about it but for 12 Euros, it's an essential package for any US GA fans and flyers.   I'm a Brit but loving my time out here in 'virtual Appalachia'.  :smile:

Cheers.

Thanks Craig....

I'm trying to figure out how large an area your map covers, I will take a look at some other maps at home tonight but it looks like you are flying a considerable length of the mountains.... 

I live in CO, where we also have mountains, but very different to these ones.  I spent a week out in Appelachia (sp?) a few years ago and loved it, but know nothing of the geography (where places are), so that might explain my interest- doing an App. tour sounds really cool..

Thanks,  Bruce.