Sign in to follow this  
meerkat

Dark clouds and apron in foggy weather

I am running FSX with DX10 fixer v. 2.4 with Nvidia driver 344.48 on a GTX 550 Ti, Windows 8.

When the visibility is in the foggy range I get dark apron textures and dark clouds that shine through the fog (obviously the don't become faded out by the fog, thus the stick out more with increasing distance).

I tried nearly all combinations of options in the Fixer, but only disabling the general shader restores the normal behaviour (but introduces other errors, of course).

It may be a driver problem, as I did not have this issue a year ago (when I run the 331.82 driver, but also an older DX10 fixer).

dark apron and clouds visible through fog:

_dark_cloud_apron.jpg

General shader disabled - apron and clouds correctly fogged (ORBX lights don't show right)

_shader_disabled.jpg

OK, thank you very much. Just downloaded the update.

But more than that are the clouds annoying. They are REX textures btw. Now I can't use the "stratus layer for dense fog" feature in FSGRW as it looks awful.

Do you have an idea? Any diagnosis tool?

Edit: I see, that the screenshot links don't work. Steve, if you need an image, I will send you a PM, ok?

Regards

Are you saying that 2.5 hasn't fixed the clouds? The problem with aprons in 2.4 was the red axis fix. If 2.5 isn't working with clouds try disabling the axis fix.

No, don't say that. I just had no time to check after the update, and as you only mentioned the apron...

Now I flew a circuit in the nicest, densest fog with stratus clouds included and all looked fine!

So thank you for the support and continuous improvements!

Btw., did you see what Thorsten Renk was able to achieve with shaders in FlightGear? Realistic light scattering taking into account the real humidity without dawn and dusk bitmaps, cloud shadows, snow cover taking into account real weather data instead of a built in seasons table, puddles after rainy weather and so on.

I think this should be the direction LM should take with further development of P3D. Much less need for texture addons a la REX, probably no more separate winter textures needed, much more realistic visuals and weather depiction. Oh, dreaming :blush: