Sign in to follow this  
Ellis Mansell

Maybe A EFB?

Hello everyone, I am just wondering if PMDG could make a EFB for there B772/3 aircraft. Am not to sure if this "topic" has already been discussed but I would just love PMDG to make an 777 EFB App. When I mean app, I would love to see if they really could go "hardcore" (as they do any ways  B) ) on there app, if they made one. Things like real world EFB's such as performance pages for V-speeds, ext.....

Thanking you all very much,

Cheers,

Ellis.M.

Hello everyone, I am just wondering if PMDG could make a EFB for there B772/3 aircraft. Am not to sure if this "topic" has already been discussed but I would just love PMDG to make an 777 EFB App. When I mean app, I would love to see if they really could go "hardcore" (as they do any ways  B) ) on there app, if they made one. Things like real world EFB's such as performance pages for V-speeds, ext.....

This has actually been discussed many times over, but the idea is unfeasible because of the cost.

I pay about $80 a year for an EFB subscription that covers charts only. Add to that the fact that PMDG would need a commercial license to then re-sell the performance data, and you're looking at a yearly subscription that would be well out of the price range of most simmers, which means that it would be very tough to justify a company spend time on.

Kyle Rodgers

This has actually been discussed many times over, but the idea is unfeasible because of the cost.

I pay about $80 a year for an EFB subscription that covers charts only. Add to that the fact that PMDG would need a commercial license to then re-sell the performance data, and you're looking at a yearly subscription that would be well out of the price range of most simmers, which means that it would be very tough to justify a company spend time on.

But they can make an API-EFB so we can develop our own EFB's, for ex if Avilasoft wants to incorporate his EFB to a "more realistic" environment. Even for ACARS software would be great.

I pay about $80 a year for an EFB subscription that covers charts only.

Hi Kyle,

Can you tell me where to get this?

Robert

But they can make an API-EFB so we can develop our own EFB's, for ex if Avilasoft wants to incorporate his EFB to a "more realistic" environment. Even for ACARS software would be great.

Could, but that still requires extra support, even if it's redirecting all of those tickets to an external party.

"MY EFB IS BROKEN!"

"That needs to be handled by [dev X]."

"IT'S YOUR AIRCRAFT YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO FIX IT!!!"

While these would be rare, you'd be surprised...

You can even see it here on the forum when things about the weather radar and nav data come up.

"You mean I have to PAY for nav updates???"

"Yes."

"You guys are just nickel and diming us!!!"

"All that money goes to the people who provide the updates, so, no."

Hi Kyle,

Can you tell me where to get this?

Robert

I should've mentioned that it's US-only, but it's https://www.foreflight.com/pricing/ (I use standard - I have no need for the bells and whistles of Pro).

Other providers of worldwide service are LIDO and Jepp. Both will cost you a pretty penny.

(...which is one of the reasons an EFB isn't quite as "feasible" as many would argue.)

Kyle Rodgers

Here's the thing. How practical would an EFB be in a virtual cockpit environment? Sure, maybe as a pop-up but why spend the effort to create such a thing, that again would cost way too much for the regular "flightsim enthusiast"?

On the other hand a performance calculation feature only would make some sense in my opinion. 

I was looking at the LIDO iPad-app  by LH Systems, which costs around 18€ and covers 40 major airports worldwide (including updates). I know this is pretty limited but so far it's the best solution for flightsim - as long as the airports you need are covered. 

Here's the thing. How practical would an EFB be in a virtual cockpit environment? Sure, maybe as a pop-up but why spend the effort to create such a thing, that again would cost way too much for the regular "flightsim enthusiast"?

That's my main issue with it. If I want to read a chart, I want to glance next to me and see the full size version and not some rendering in a simulated flight deck. Of course, this would have an associated performance hit for little functionality, in my opinion.

On the other hand a performance calculation feature only would make some sense in my opinion. 

Agreed.

I was looking at the LIDO iPad-app  by LH Systems, which costs around 18€ and covers 40 major airports worldwide (including updates). I know this is pretty limited but so far it's the best solution for flightsim - as long as the airports you need are covered. 

That's not too bad. My issue would be that I can guarantee there'd be one day that I wanted to fly to some random spot. Like the other day, I flew the KLAX-NZAA leg. I've never really done any flights down to NZ, but that random night I wanted to do it...

Luckily, I just went online and got some. With a second computer, it isn't too hard.

Kyle Rodgers

That's not too bad. My issue would be that I can guarantee there'd be one day that I wanted to fly to some random spot. Like the other day, I flew the KLAX-NZAA leg. I've never really done any flights down to NZ, but that random night I wanted to do it...

Luckily, I just went online and got some. With a second computer, it isn't too hard.

Sure, that's the limitation of that particular app/service. I don't know why but I don't like googling charts - often they are outdated and don't match your navdata in the FMS or are from different providers/of a different layout, which makes them harder to read/undertand. Luckily I have my home-country covered with one provider and an up-to date database but then again as you described - if I want to fly somewhere odd/far it can be troublesome to get charts.

I have used Aivlasoft's EFB for several years already. Combined with Navigraph oder NavDataPro this EFB generates all charts by itself. In addition it provides flight planning, moving map etc.. I run it on a separate laptop, so that neither the computer resources not the monitor of my FSX computer are loaded. Give it a try! Aivlasoft offers a free, fully-functional trial period of 30 days.

Felix

All US, European and Austrailian charts are free, easy to find and current. A few other countries also have free web access. Others may not be current but older charts can be found for almost every major destination by using Google "ICAO charts."

My EFB is my Windows taskbar.  I have charts and FCOM open in Adobe Reader along side PFPX and Google is always close.  I also like to use Wikipedia to read about places I overfly when travelling to new parts of the world.

Dan Downs KCRP

"...My EFB is my Windows taskbar.  I have charts and FCOM open..." that's a great solution and one that I use, but its not an EFB solution...I think those who want an EFB solution want the 'total immersion' of the flight sim world, but I think we now know that is too expensive unfortunately.

The EFB would be handy for ground taxing at unfamiliar airports, and to use the built in takeoff calculator. Or for approach briefings you can zoom in and select the approach while double checking the fmc. Obviously if you have a laptop or tablet you can do this outside the sim much easier, but it would be a nice option.