Sign in to follow this  
Joonas

X-Plane 10 Winter Textures Freeware?

I didn't find anything about this here so decided to post about it. I my self didn't know about this until my friend "karvajalka" told me about this and this changed my XP10 totally... now the sim is 11/10

Winter: bc8c604c68d2ab47c57effcfff70def3.png

autumn: 1dcc52674e3d412743a1e9dae415d729.png

All credit to this guy @ http://forum.simrussia.com/index.php?/topic/208-%D0%A1%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5-%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%82%D1%83%D1%80%D1%8B-xp-10/

The download link for this is bit hard to find from there so here it's directly https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9xK56Fz8K6LdTY1TnVkbFhhOEk&usp=sharing

disregard

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Will it cover all the world with snow when it's winter? (Which is not really realistic)

And does it recognize the season depending on the area? for example when it's winter in Austrealia , it's summer in europe and vice versa.

They are still working on it.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Seriously? Somebody made seasonal textures that change automatically?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Will it cover all the world with snow when it's winter? (Which is not really realistic)

And does it recognize the season depending on the area? for example when it's winter in Austrealia , it's summer in europe and vice versa.

Good Question. There's very little information on this product so far.

Indeed a good question, so I installed it per instructions (thanks google for the translation tool) and went to Auckland, New Zeeland.

And I saw red leaves on the trees, so it appears the effect is worldwide.

I did not understand everything, but I think the author is working on a way to have it activated by region.

(The downloads are huge, I am lucky enough to have a good connection).

I have a question, Is this a scenery pack or just weather textures? Yes I get the winter, autom spring and summer thing but what I'm asking is, Is this a base like scenery pack with weather textures? Like Global Ortx? Or something completely different. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question.

Only had a quick flight but Autumn textures and autogen are showing automatically in Alaska at least. Looks quite good. The snow textures on the mountain tops have some depth to them now to. It's a huge download (about 8GB in total) but from what I've seen so far, worth the wait. 

Looking forward to seeing what happens in winter...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Well, its no surprise that the download is big, as who even wants to make a replacement set of textures needs to replace quite big pile ... If you look in the "Resources/default scenery/1000 world terrain/" you will get an impression what we are talking about. And those textures are "only" the ones for the "ground" ... you then need even a few more for the autogen and the forests (ok the trees only need a few MBytes).  And if you further "complicate" things by adding normal maps (which they /he obviously did - and whith the specular reflections ... hmm ... it looks a bit overdone to me ... but its a question of taste) then you can easily get those GBytes.

@Poppet: NO, of course - well for X-Plane users it might be "of course" - you do not replace the entire scenery (the meta data defining the geometric structure of the landscape), only really the artwork (the texture files, and quite likely a few of the TER files defining how the textures play together for one of the thousands of terrain types). This way you can make the same scenery look very different (snowy, or even like "lollypop" land :P ).

If you need that higher def "landscape" 8really the scenery) ... then you might get happy at my site (which will work with any "texture" pack):

(and even more happy in a few weeks / months when V3 comes out)

And who knows ... there might come even more winter interpretations this ... erm ... winter ... (as it seems, that more and more parties had a hand in this topic).

(and even more happy in a few weeks / months when V3 comes out)

And who knows ... there might come even more winter interpretations this ... erm ... winter ... (as it seems, that more and more parties had a hand in this topic).

few weeks sounds terrific. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

few weeks sounds terrific. 

Ok ... few weeks might be really to little (computing the USA alone takes 3-4 more weeks with the new high settings) ... So, I still wouldn't expect it before the end of November.

But we are going off topic ... this is the thread for seasonal textures ...