Sign in to follow this  
CF104

Jet in the Woods...

See here:http://weirdnj.com/_roadside/jetwoods.htmlI have questioned myself over and over again- what model is it?I'm thinking its an L-39 Albatross, but the jet intakes look too low, so I don't think thats it... It could also be a T-4 but I don't know of any around here... It may also be a Fouga CM170, but I dont see any wing tanks... then again, I don't know of this kind of aircraft in the area...In their book where more information is published it said there was two pilots, so keep that in mind... Usually things like this pop to mind but with a crippled and decaying jet I am baffled with this one...What do you think it is?Jason :-wave

Guest Air1

Looks like maybe a F-80/T-33?Steve A

Could be... but I'm not so sure- take a look at the nose of the two, the crashed one has a long, cone shaped nose, while the F-80 has a long but rounded off nose, its kind of stubby... the engine intakes are in the same place... but then again no wing-tip tanks :+

Hey John,I think you got it! When comparing the two the are identical :DDid you know this one off the top of your head? :DThanks,Jason :-wave

Guest Air1

Ok guys, I'll buy it. Leave it to the Navy to make a beautiful bird butt ugly.Lockheed TV2 was a 1953 modification of the T-33 for the US Navy, later updated to the T-1 in 1962. Strange numbering system there but then again we ARE talking about the Navy.Steve Ahttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/70145.jpg

Hi Jason,Yeah, pretty much nailed it when I first saw it. I used to work on Canadian T-33's for a civilian contractor and got to know the different variations on the model. Two distinct clues give away the wreck. First is the front windscreen. It has no central pane as the T-33 so this points to the T-1 and the streamlined nose is the second. The intakes and nose hatches identify it as a T-Bird but the clues pointed to the T-1.Cheers,John Boeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg