Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Questions about CH products Throttle quadrant

I already have a CH Products Flight Sim Yoke and consider buying this throttle quadrant. My main question is how the levers are compared to the one I already have on the yoke ? From the pictures it seems that there are six levers that seem identical to the three levers on the Yoke. Is it so ?  If not what is better with the quadrant apart from the obvious fact that there are six levers instead of three ? Is it well spent money to complement the CH Yoke with this throttle quadrant ?

Are you saying you have the Saitek and you're looking for a comparison?  I'd be interested in a comparison as well from people that have owned both.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Are you saying you have the Saitek and you're looking for a comparison?  I'd be interested in a comparison as well from people that have owned both.

Gregg

No I have the CH Flight Sim Yoke

I have had both for several years, they both wowrk much the same, IMO, I switched to the Saitek TQ a few years ago, and like the feeel of these better than CH,  but they are more fprone to adjustment problems than the CH, again IMO.  They are both good products that are a must for any simmer, you won't go wrong with either one (or two with Saitek), make sure you have FSUIPC (reg) to calibrate and control, that is the frosting on the cake, IMO..........B42L8

I have the CH as well...never had the Saitek so I can't compare.  They're good basic levers...far, far better than the ones on the yoke (which I also have).  The switches on them are also handy to have around.   

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

The yoke has one throttle, mix and prop control...The quadrant is night and day in comparison, I have both. Here is my setup, which works pretty well for me:

First off, in all profiles I disable the 3 yoke controls, as they will interfere with your quadrant.

The quadrant comes with 4 black knobs (throttle), 2 blue (prop) and 2 red (mix).  I keep a chart near the quadrant to help me setup the quadrant for a particular plane I'm flying.

I have 7 different Standard.xml files which are the different control setups that I use. I have a batch file which prompts me for which airplane type I want to start, and that simply copies the proper file over the standard.xml, giving me the proper control config. It then stops Aero, starts FSX and restarts Aero. I also setup ezdok in these profiles, as well as reverse thrust for the quadrant etc....I also now use simstarter to launch the bat file in addition to loading only the scenery I'm flying.

GASingle.xml (ga single w/ yoke),                             left 3 controls are (blk) throt, (blu) prop, (red) mix, right 3 aren't used

GATwin.xml (ga twin w/ yoke),                                  (blk)  throt 1, throt 2, (blu) prop 1, prop 2, (red) mix 1, mix 2

GASingleStick.xml (ga single with saitek stick),         left 3 controls are (blk) throt, (blu) prop, (red) mix, right 3 aren't used

AirlinerTwin.xml (twin tube yoke),                              (red) elev. trim, (blu) speed brake, (blk) throt 1, throt 2, (blu) flaps

AirlinerTwinStick.xml (twin tube sitck airbus),            (red) elev. trim, (blu) speed brake, (blk) throt 1, throt 2, (blu) flaps

AirlinerTri.xml (tri tube l1011, 727),                           (red) elev. trim, (blu) speed brake, (blk) throt 1, throt 2, throt 3, (blu) flaps

AirlinerQuad.xml (quad tube 747, a340)                   (blu) speed brake, (blk) throt 1, throt 2, throt 3, throt 4, (blu) flaps

The rub is....having controls that look and function like what you are seeing in the virtual cockpit is huge for ease of flight and immersion. Each of the levers on the quadrant has a detent near the bottom. You setup the throttle for detent foward, and reverse thrust for the detent back to 0...this way, when you touch down, simply pull your throttle back. More realistic than F2.

Additionally, if you don't have rudder pedals...get them. I went for a few years using only a saitek stick with the twisty rudder grip....when I finally socked the money into proper controls, I was like "why did I wait so long?"

The quadrant is considerably different than the yoke levers. Longer and they have detents.

What about the size at the base where the levers stick out ? Are the more distance that they can be moved ?

What about the size at the base where the levers stick out ? Are the more distance that they can be moved ?

In all honesty, I'd say no.  In fact, it could be a little less due to the detent. 

Gregg Seipp

I have had both for several years, they both wowrk much the same, IMO, I switched to the Saitek TQ a few years ago, and like the feeel of these better than CH,  but they are more fprone to adjustment problems than the CH, again IMO.  They are both good products that are a must for any simmer, you won't go wrong with either one (or two with Saitek), make sure you have FSUIPC (reg) to calibrate and control, that is the frosting on the cake, IMO..........B42L8

Do you refer to this Saitek throttle ?

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/quad.html

I once bought one but returned it. It didn't feel smooth in the movements and more seriously I had big problem attaching to my desk. There is a protruding metal bar under my desk that got in the way of the plastic screw of the quadrant. Had it not been for the latter I would have considered the Saitek Yoke.

Otherwise there are these throttles to consider also

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/tpm.html

or this

http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Throttle-v13-d-719.html

but of course these two are for single engine only

Yes , the one where it takes two for twin engine planes.........that is great for handling the Baron, which is my default and 90% use.........re" the attaching methods, I move to our winter home in Tucson from Mpls each year, and both mounts are different, so I have to remove the mounting plate (easy, four screws), and rotate for the best fit, and Walla, back in business, takes 15 min, max......as I say , I like the Saitek feel best, and think it is more accurate, but again because it is finer tuned, it needs more attention in the FSUIPC set-up, but once set, I think it is more realistic..........on the other hand, the CH products seem to be more able to handle  adjustments as they are not as finicky, all of this is my opinion.............some of my tuning gremlins may be due to moving the entire computer and controls four times a year as we change locations, who knows??..............not sure if any of this helps you, but maybe...........regards, B42L8

In all honesty, I'd say no.  In fact, it could be a little less due to the detent. 

But will it not have a bigger distance at the knobs since the levers are longer ? Do you get more precise throttle control with it ?

Am I correct in assuming that these two throttles would be better in this regard ?

http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Throttle-v13-d-719.html

Regarding the TPM I wonder how long the axes should be in real life and if the TPM has got it right ?

I'm trying to decide between these three throttles.

But will it not have a bigger distance at the knobs since the levers are longer ? Do you get more precise throttle control with it ?

Absolutely!  The arc is the same size or smaller but the knobs have to move a lot further.  As I said eariler, it's a much better yoke to use.

Am I correct in assuming that these two throttles would be better in this regard ?

http://www.chproduct...-v13-d-719.html

The first TQ is for a fighter.  The second is for a Cessna type.  What's a TPM?

Gregg Seipp

What's a TPM?

Throttle - Prop - Mixture. The Cessna type one. A 'must have', imho. :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Throttle - Prop - Mixture. The Cessna type one. A 'must have', imho. :smile:

Doh!  Didn't make the connection.  When you twist those knobs do they adjust in and out?  That's one nice feature of the Cessna style knobs.

Gregg Seipp