Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Need advice on a New Computer

I'd spend the extra on a GTX 780 if not a 970 or 980

And that Memory is slow! You should get 2400mhz at CL9

For FSX or P3D you only need 8GB 2 x 4GB

Well no more Windows 8 for me. Just got back from Micro Center. They're building a new computer for me with Windows 7, 64 bit . An i7-4790k , 1 TB. Whatever I get in three days when it's built has to be better than what I had.He seemed to be familiar with FSX. Below is a list of parts. If anyone sees an improvement to be made, let me know so it can be changed.

intel core i7-4790k

crucial 16 GB 8x2 D3 1600 DIMM

ASUS z97 -AR ATX 1150

WD 1 TB 3.5 Mainstrm HD 7200

Thermalta Versa H22 SE BLK MT

MS OEM WIN 7 Home PR 64 BIT SP1

TPLINK 300 MBPS WRLS N PCIE AD

EVGA 500 W 80 + B ATX PSU

IPSG LG 24X DVDRW SATA OEM

ASUS COMP GTX7600C 2 GB DDHDP P

BSC ASY Computer Assembly

Total cost a little over $ 1,200.  Thanks for the ideas guys, like i said, if there's something in the list that is wrong , letr me know.

So much for the budget! If you're going to spend $1200, I would do more shopping. There are better deals to be had.

So much for the budget! If you're going to spend $1200, I would do more shopping. There are better deals to be had.

+1

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I7 4790k made good choice for CPU and better sometimes when spending over $1000 have someone at a store build it and get warranty. A Nick guide great but it not realty of most users to blow $2500 to $5000 on desktop. I7 4790k be good till 2020 with fsx and most software.

try cyberpowerpc.com  I have had good luck with them in the past, for around that price to $1,500 you can get a great system for FSX.

I'd spend the extra on a GTX 780 if not a 970 or 980

And that Memory is slow! You should get 2400mhz at CL9

For FSX or P3D you only need 8GB 2 x 4GB

+1  

Though if you have a very good CPU, a GTX 770 work well.  I concur with others, better deals are out there.

Components are close to the mark, but as others have mentioned, 8 GB of faster memory, and a GTX 770 or 780 video card would be optimal for your i7-4790k processor, which is a sweet processor by the way.  For my money, I would go with the EVGA 750 W power supply, as the 500 W is marginal for these components.  You could go with a Solid State Drive if you want the rig to run amazingly quiet and everything load instantly, but that would add another $200 to your build budget.

I recently built a similar rig, and I am very pleased with results.  I find that Microcenter and Newegg tend to have the best prices and inventories.  If you are looking for savings from the $1,200 quoted, your best bet is to buy the components from Microcenter and build it yourself.  It really is not that difficult at all, if you are just  a little handy and adventurous.  The trickiest part is attaching the cooler to the processor, while the rest of the process is mostly snapping/screwing in components and connecting cables.  Actually, it's fun, as you feel like you are putting together a living organism and can take even greater satisfaction in selecting great components and seeing it all come together.  If you're not into the adventure of building it, the $1,200 quote is not that bad, considering the rig (with suggested enhancements) is far superior to anything you would find for that money preassembled by Dell or HP, etc.