Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Question Re FSX ans VAS?

Jim,

Did you mean to say "An 32-bit program running in a 64-bit operating system is limited to 4GB of VAS..."?  

Regards,

Dave

Yes. This is for all 32 bit applications running in Windows. FSX/P3D (and addons) just happen to use VAS more than others. If you read the front page of AVSIM you will see that Lockheed Martin is developing a 64 bit version of Prepar3D and that will allow almost unlimited VAS for P3D. X-Plane already has a 64 bit version.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It's almost like we have to ask the Food and Drug Administration to mandate a VAS required amount on each FSX add-on label, just like the number of calories displayed for each food product.   :Thinking:

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Many thanks for posting that excerpt Jim, much appreciated and looking forward to the full thing;-)

Hi Phil,

It's in the final stage and I hope to see it released today or tomorrow. This major revision will include methods/procedures to investigate crashes on your computer and methods/procedures to prevent crashes. I worked a lot of hours on this one and collected tips and solutions over the past year. I hope it helps our community so they can enjoy the hobby of flight simulation a bit more.

Hope you are staying well Phil!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I used to get OOMs alot, until I started disabling not only scenery that wasn't in use (UTX Europe when flying U.S., all airports not flown to, all ORBX) but also utilities like FS Recorder, and plane specific stuff like Captain Sim passenger loader for 757,767, PMDG utils etc for planes that I wasn't currently flying.... I now manage all of this through simstarter, and my VAS usage is much lower.

disabling not only scenery that wasn't in use (...) UTX Europe when flying U.S

A nice idea, Jonathan. I was considering it too. But I wasn't sure if disabling, not uninstalling (and so restoring the backup stuff), a UTX region does not mean some files will be missing (all in all UTX replaces a lot of default files) and the sim will engage memory to keep searching for them. Are you, or anyone else, sure this is not the case?

I used to get OOMs alot, until I started disabling not only scenery that wasn't in use (UTX Europe when flying U.S., all airports not flown to, all ORBX) but also utilities like FS Recorder, and plane specific stuff like Captain Sim passenger loader for 757,767, PMDG utils etc for planes that I wasn't currently flying.... I now manage all of this through simstarter, and my VAS usage is much lower.

If that is the case, then it's not surprising that FSX suffers from OOMs when users load up European scenery when in the USA?

Gerry, thanks for your positive and constructive comment. Please explain the take away I was supposed to get from your comment.

I believe that there is a learning curve to tweaking FSX, and I'm a software engineer of over 20 years. It's very difficult to glean what's going on inside an executable from config files...luckily there are the years of trial and error of many developers and users to pave the way to learning. I believe that most users, not being technical in the first place, and certainly not FSX-niche technical, buy add-ons and have no idea what all is running when they start FSX. They see maxed out youtube videos and load it all :) That is until they experience ooms and start looking at VAS usage, and via process explorer and appcrashview see what is loaded. They don't realize that everything resides in the memory space for FSX (heavy weight), as opposed to outside FSX talking to the api (light weight). In fact I'd say the majority probably don't about think "memory" at all...I see this everyday working with the common end user. They think..."this app sucks", and then they quit using it.

Gerry, thanks for your positive and constructive comment. Please explain the take away I was supposed to get from your comment.

If and remember I said If,  then loading all the world scenery unnecessarily in VAS results in OOMs then it's a self-inflicted wound caused by the users, and possibly by the developers..

I don't think many knew that until I discovered that sometime last year I think when I bought all of the MegaSceneryEarth V2 for the USA. I didn't realize photoscenery loads no matter what and had them all enabled. I subsequently had 20 minute plus load times to get to the setup screen and another 20 minutes to load the scenario. I decided to use the Scenery Config Editor and load only the scenery I wanted to use for a flight and it was like I had a whole new flightsim.

The word is slowly getting around about photoscenery. I think some FTX/Orbx scenery has some photoscenery installed too so one needs to be careful.

The AVSIM CTD Guide, version 2.0 has been released. You can check it out at the right of this forum under Hot Spots. I particularly like the recommendation to load only FSX in the Process Monitor (instructions provided). This way you can see exactly what is being loaded during a flight and, when you see something being loaded in Europe and you are flying in the USA, you can then investigate.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

If and remember I said If,  then loading all the world scenery unnecessarily in VAS results in OOMs then it's a self-inflicted wound caused by the users, and possibly by the developers..

Yeah, I saw your post on LM's forums.... Let's agree to disagree that this should be on the shoulder's of the non-technical consumer. That's like telling my end users...sorry, it only works in chrome and firefox, no IE for you! :) Good thing this site has a great amount of postings on every related topic for tuning fsx...a great, welcoming place to learn. 

The AVSIM CTD Guide, version 2.0 has been released. You can check it out at the right of this forum under Hot Spots. I particularly like the recommendation to load only FSX in the Process Monitor (instructions provided). This way you can see exactly what is being loaded during a flight and, when you see something being loaded in Europe and you are flying in the USA, you can then investigate.

Great job on that BTW!

Thanks Jonathan. Appreciate all at-a-boys.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Let me add another one, AAB Jim.   -   Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Let's agree to disagree that this should be on the shoulder's of the non-technical consumer.

So it's on the shoulders of Microsoft for designing FSX to cope with all  possible  future add-ons, or on developers for providing add-ons the customers want - nothing to do with consumers at all?  And how would you deal with it?