Sign in to follow this  
anthony31

GTA V. Planes aren't as great as I had hoped.

Hi all

So I got GTA 5 for my xbox one a few days ago (hadn't played it on the xbox 360 of PS3 as I didn't own those consoles) and one of the first things I did was check out the airplanes (because the preview screenshots looked really great). I don't know what game developers use to take screenshots but my games never look as good as those preview screenshots.

Well, all I can say is FSX doesn't have anything to worry about. Or FS2004. Or FS2002.

One of the features of GTA 5 is the new first person view which means you can fly planes/drive vehicles in the first person VC mode. The good news is the airspeed, altitude, attitude indicator, VSI all seem to actually work. The bad news is there is some terrible texture mapping (in one of the aircraft I flew the airspeed indicator markings were stretched and distorted badly) and the modelling is very primitive. Gauges appeared to have only 12 edge faces which made them terribly blocky. You can move your view around the cockpit but the range is limited to left/right and a limited range up and down.

So far I have checked out the stunt plane (available from the GA airfield in the centre of the map), the crop duster (used a cheat code to spawn it) and a light twin (someone pulled up to GA airfield in this just as I was arriving from a flight in the crop duster so I thought I would "borrow" it).

As for the flight dynamics. I was bouncing all over the sky. Impossible to fly in a straight line. I don't know whether this means I have to build up the skill level of my character to make him a better flyer, my controller is acting up or if it was just a very windy day.

On a positive note the scenery is pretty spectacular. It almost looks photoreal. There is almost no tiling in the scenery that I can see. So far I have only found 4 airports. One main GA with the stunt plane, one hidden short strip, the main international (where I was told to leave the airspace) and one military (where I got 4 wanted stars and had everyone looking for me, hit the deck and got the hell out of there real quick).

One last thing. It's funny how wrong this big games makers get airports. Another game I got recently is the open world driving game Forza Horizon 2. This has an airport (for doing drags) where the hangars are way too close to the runway. Not to mention the PAPI light placed behind one of the hangars thus making it invisible to any pilot approaching.

www.antsairplanes.com

The planes probably look great to ordinary console gamers not to us plane nuts though.

The PC version of this game is going to be Epic.

Out in January 16 or 18'th I think

January 27th. :wink:

Brandon Filer

Thank you HughesMDflyer4 for clearing that up, i seem to be full of dodgy information today.

The PC version of this game is going to be Epic.

Damn right. Imagine Track IR, Day Z style mods.....

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Meh.  It's Grand Theft Auto, not Grand Theft Aviation, so watered down airplanes I didn't really care about (and really, driving is simplified too rather than hardcore sim - but to me, doesn't matter in the larger context of the story and game).  I rarely used the aircraft anyway.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like VR will make its way to GTA 5 on PC: http://www.pcgamer.c...or-vr-just-yet/

If they can put Track IR into the Arma series I'm sure some enterprising soul can put it in GTAV.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

If they can put Track IR into the Arma series I'm sure some enterprising soul can put it in GTAV.

Well wasn't TrackIR in Arma 3 from the beginning? And I'm not saying that GTA 5 WON'T have TIR support, but it doesn't seem likely after what their CEO said.

Saw the GTA V ps4 version wasn't all too impressed. The planes do fly like RC toys.

The planes/choppers can probably be tweaked by a mod for realistic handling(pc version). They released car handling mods on the IV. Almost felt like my real car :P

I'll keep it at FSX for semi-realistic handling

Better yet Oculus Rift. I would sell my monitor if I could run Arma 3 on the Rift.

The mods for the PC games will be epic(Real planes with high quility cockpits) I was talking to one guy in the GTA fourms and they had a mod where there were working VOR's for GTA San Andres. One thing I've always liked about GTA is the ability to hop out of my plane and into my super car then go get my boat out of the marina and head out to sea I love the open world of it I could careless about the shooting! The sea plane should be fun as well.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.