Sign in to follow this  
Foxtrot_Sim

VFR Minimums

Hello,

I am currently studying for the FAA Knowledge test that I will take in January, and on of the topics that trouble me the most is VFR Minimums. I have the chart and reading it over isn't helping.

Anyone have any good tips on how to remember VFR minimums is all airspaces?

Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There could be some shortcuts but I don't know of any. But you can observe certain pattern and similarities between classes E & G, day/night, altitudes, distances from clouds. But let's face it there isn't that much to memorize for your PPL knowledge test so one way or another you could master it, if only for the test. If all fails write it down on your hand  :lol:

The most important thing to remember here is that the weather minimums chart is only ONE question on the test, and that's assuming you actually are lucky enough to get that question since the test is generated at random from a bank of over 800 questions. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

From an operational perspective, if you never go flying VFR when the weather is lower than 1,000ft ceilings and 3sm visibility, you'll always be above minimums. Never forget, however, that there is a big difference between what is safe, and what is legal. If you've ever actually gone flying when the weather is at 1,000 and 3, you'll ask yourself who decided that it should be legal for VFR  :lol:

Oh, and there will be a few "gotcha" answer possibilities regarding visibility. Remember that with aviation meteorology, visibility is ALWAYS in statute miles. Not nautical miles.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

I'm afraid that if the question is "What are minimums for Class E at night?" I might say 3miles and clear of clouds. Which isn't correct.

ValleyDeer,

I would suggest googling AOPA's Safety Advisor entitled Airspace for Everyone.

Go to p. 14 and have a look at the chart: Communication Requirements and Weather Minimums for each class of airspace.

-Rob

Sign in to follow this