Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

High CPU load low GPU load GTX980

Ok so here's my issue for some reason even though I have almost every slider to the right and tessellation set at Ultra my GPU is only running at max 35% load most of the times its in the 20-25% range while my CPU will run from 60-90% load. Overall I've noticed a drop in FPS recently (since 2.4) and I think this maybe the reason. Any ideas on how to get my GPU to do more work? I thought LM had moved load off the CPU and on to the GPU from this it appears they didn't.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hi David, I don't fly P3d, but from what I understand, there are things that should be changed in the cfg to ensure P3d runs correctly on the right cores.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Ok so here's my issue for some reason even though I have almost every slider to the right and tessellation set at Ultra my GPU is only running at max 35% load most of the times its in the 20-25% range while my CPU will run from 60-90% load. Overall I've noticed a drop in FPS recently (since 2.4) and I think this maybe the reason. Any ideas on how to get my GPU to do more work? I thought LM had moved load off the CPU and on to the GPU from this it appears they didn't.

With a powerful GPU like yours this is normal. The tessellation and the shadows make the GPU work to the values that you wrote, this also occurs to my Titan.

However, if you fly in overcast conditions, you'll see the GPU also rise to 80%.

In P3D 2.4, autogen is still on the CPU and it is normal to reach those loads.

Curious what software tool do you use to monitor the CPU/GPU loads?

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Z06z33, have you tried setting your fps to unlimited, in the sim? No other tweak is really needed for P3d; it works straight out of the box.

Jazz

I can get things easily CPU limited with my GTX780 flying over urban terrain with lot's of autogen, custom buildings and especially vector data and traffic. This means low GPU usage in those situations and high CPU loading. I see nothing strange in your results, if situation is somewhat comparable.

I thought LM had moved load off the CPU and on to the GPU from this it appears they didn't.

It's still very much CPU bound. Not much different than FSX.

I wish they would just bring p3d into the future and actually let the GPU do something.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I think it is the lack of proper AA that's not stressing the high end GPUs.  You can just apply SGSSAA in NI and you will see your 980 quickly become the bottle neck once again.  I have my newly installed 980 smoking (not literally) with proper AA applied.

Ryan

Ryan

Z06z33, have you tried setting your fps to unlimited, in the sim? No other tweak is really needed for P3d; it works straight out of the box.

Jazz

^^ this (potentially coupled with Fiber Frame Time Fraction @ 0.01 could help).

Also setting everything to the right, particularly building autogen and scenery complexity), will make it apparent where your CPU can't keep up with your powerhouse GPU. Try knocking those back one at a time and see if the load stabilizes.

I do wish LM are able to optimize building autogen in future releasese (I can run vegetation at max with almost no impact thanks to instancing...).

Edit: also try running with Hyperthreading on...