Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

WXR Test button

Quick question, I have noticed that sometimes when I test the WXR system in the 777 is shows all the colors on the ND and an aural "Monitor Radar Display" this is heard when FS2Crew FO is running through the checks.

However say later on I press the test button again, I still get the color test on the display but no aural warning. Did I miss a switch or something. Or does it only sound off one time? I could be doing something wrong, any input would be great.

Angelo 

FCOM 11.10.22 has a couple of paragraphs on what to expect with the WXR TEST for the Collins unit. I do not useFS2Crew so can't help with that; however, manual states that TEST must be selected after WXR is selected on the EFIS control panel.  I just ran a couple of test sequences and each one in succession did have the aural messages.  Maybe this is a FS2Crew issue??

Dan Downs KCRP

Interesting how you switch on the weather radar by pushing the WXR button essentially turning On the radar to do the test, wouldn't this cause the feared "cooking" of persons on the ground and potential hazard while refueling, or is the short time it is on isn't enough to cause concern?

The radar test is a non-emitting test; however, you would be emitting before and after test once WXR button is ON. Regardless, the Preflight checks include radar OFF and not until Pre-Takeoff (presumably before entering active) when radar is set as desired. FCOMv1 NP.21.36

Dan Downs KCRP

Think of it this way:

When you turn your radios on, they're on and ready, but not transmitting. Similar concept with this test.

Kyle Rodgers