Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Boeing vs. Airbus cockpit environment battle

Quite simple, which particular sounds do you like/prefer more?

GPWS Callouts - Airbus (sounds more "serious")

AP disconnect - Boeing (sounds like an deep space space station red alert :D ), but Airbus style bleep bleep bleep isn't bad either.

Various warning sounds - undecided since I'm not hearing them much :D

Cockpit environment - can't decide, since both A320 and 737 have good audio representation in FSX (Aerosoft/PMDG) for example, but I'll go with a Boeing, environment  sounds richer, less robotic, has a soul.

Trim wheel, ground spoilers, etc - certainly Boeing!

Engine sounds - depends on a model of course, that's why it's a dead heat. I like A320's CFM groan much more than in 737 (also CFM). But groan of 757's and 767's RR and also PW is unbeatable.

Feel free to add more sound comparisons if you like. :) 

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Quite simple, which particular sounds do you like/prefer more?

GPWS Callouts - Airbus (sounds more "serious")

AP disconnect - Boeing (sounds like an deep space space station red alert :D ), but Airbus style bleep bleep bleep isn't bad either.

Various warning sounds - undecided since I'm not hearing them much :D

Cockpit environment - can't decide, since both A320 and 737 have good audio representation in FSX (Aerosoft/PMDG) for example, but I'll go with a Boeing, environment  sounds richer, less robotic, has a soul.

Trim wheel, ground spoilers, etc - certainly Boeing!

Engine sounds - depends on a model of course, that's why it's a dead heat. I like A320's CFM groan much more than in 737 (also CFM). But groan of 757's and 767's RR and also PW is unbeatable.

Feel free to add more sound comparisons if you like. :) 

The Airbus starts calling me names if I'm about to land and have a high sink rate lol.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Not Boeing nor Airbus, but "Rita" is definitely the nicest cockpit warning voice: :smile:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

The Airbus starts calling me names if I'm about to land and have a high sink rate lol.

Even with an appropriate sink rate ...   B)

My vote is for '######in' Betty' in the MD-11. Now, why wasn't that asked for in the opening post?   :P

EDIT; Lol, AVSIM forum software auto-censored my "aviation term".   :lol:

Edited by olli4740

'######in' Betty'

EDIT; Lol, AVSIM forum software auto-censored my "aviation term".   :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That was unexpected lol.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Definitely Boeing, although at times I have to run the kid off when the voices from the dark abyss start to mock my run on the Canarsie 13L approach in bad wx...

Talking of AP disconnect sounds. An old VC10 flight manuel quotes it as being a "gonging" sound. Nobody can remember ever having heard that. Instead corroborated, all the pilots agree that it was just a loud click plus the sound of the manometric locks disengaging. If a captain disengaged the AP from his control column he had to tell the rest of the crew!!

The title says "DC9 vs A320", but it might as well have read "Boeing vs Airbus"  :lol:

AviationHumor-0020.jpg

That said, I for some reason like the older Airbus "computerized" or "synthetic" voice callouts. 

It also calls you a retard right before you touch down, not once but twice.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It also calls you a retard right before you touch down, not once but twice.

Thatàs what it means in American. But in English it means to pull back viz. the throttles.

Thatàs what it means in American. But in English it means to pull back viz. the throttles.

Lol, yeah I know that it means to retard the throttles or pull them back to idle, it was just a joke since the poster I quoted said his called him bad names. Funny thing is that the first time I ever heard that call out, I didn't know that it was saying retard, it sounded more like it was saying recon. Mainly just because of the accent of the recorded voice.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm going on a comparison of the Airbus X and PMDG NGX.

The Airbus sounds more modern and sophisticated, essentially it sounds European. I particularly enjoy the dings and beeps of, for example, the master caution alarm. However, I love the mechanical sounds of the 737 (fuel pumps and hydraulics...love that sound, especially on the real bird over the wings). 

In FSX, I think the PMDG soundset is overall higher in quality than the Airbus X, but they each have their own unique feelings.