Sign in to follow this  
OB-5656

invalid pointer operadion due to touchscreen

Hi guys, how are you doing, a couple of weeks ago i bought a touchscreen for my overheat panel in the simulator, and when i opened linda it poped out a window saying "invalid pointer operation"

i have found that is not the screen that is causing the problem but is the touch part, any time that i disconect the usb cable that allows the screen to be touch from the computer linda works great (with the touchscreen working as a normal screen), but when i conect the touch portion linda stops working and give the invalid pointer operation every time i run the program.

the screen is a viewsonic TD2420, it didnt came with any drivers to install, just plug and play.... so i havent installed any drivers..

by the way i already tried turning off the screen before runung linda and it didnt work..

please help!!!

thanks in advance!

Nico

Hi Nico

LINDA's HID routines were written long before these new input devices like your touch panel. Can I ask you to open your device manager and report all the HID/PID ident information for your Viewsonic TD2420. It might help answer this invalid pointer issue.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi Nico

LINDA's HID routines were written long before these new input devices like your touch panel. Can I ask you to open your device manager and report all the HID/PID ident information for your Viewsonic TD2420. It might help answer this invalid pointer issue.

hi scotFlieger, can you explain me a little more about what you want me to do?

when i open the device manager and enter to the HID list there is nothing like "viewsonic" or "td2420" just some "saitek (HID)" a "Microsoft input configurator device", "HID compatible game device" and a bunch of "USB entry device"

im attaching you an image of my device manager, the only problem is that my pc is in spanish, ill try to change it to english..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/srchfjg3r78bbd3/hid.PNG?dl=0

thanks a lot!

best regards,

nico

Hi Nico, what a lot of USBs you have!  

Can you locate the USB that corresponds to the touch screen? I suspect there will be 2: one for the USB itself and one for the touch screen as an input device. You can find the right one by watching the Device Manager as you unplug and plug in the USB for the screen. 

From the dialog box you sent, you will need to click on the lines you identified above to show a dialog with several tabs on it. Send me a screen shot of each Tab.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Ok give me 5 min, i found 3 entrys related with the touchscreen!

Im getting the pics

Thanks

Hi Nico, what a lot of USBs you have!  

Can you locate the USB that corresponds to the touch screen? I suspect there will be 2: one for the USB itself and one for the touch screen as an input device. You can find the right one by watching the Device Manager as you unplug and plug in the USB for the screen. 

From the dialog box you sent, you will need to click on the lines you identified above to show a dialog with several tabs on it. Send me a screen shot of each Tab.

ok, finally got it, i better disconected all other usb devices hahaha...

here is a dropbox file, for each device i have created a file with all the images that you ask me for

dispositivo compatible con HID means  HID compatible device

dispositivo de entrada USB means USB entry device

and microsoft input configuration device is in english 

https://www.dropbox....YIpXo0kA7a?dl=0

i cannot find how to change my windows to english but please tell me if you dont know any meaning!!!

i really appreciate your help!

best regards,

Nico.

Hi Nico

Thank you for the screen shots and the spanish-english translations. I think we are getting somewhere. There is another user on a similar thread reporting problems with the Microsoft Input Configuration Device.

For the 3 devices you identified, go to the Details tab and click on the Properties dropdown and select Hardware ids. Can you send me screen shots of the dialogs and values?  It should read HID\VID_0C45&PID_... .

This won't give us a direct answer but will let me delve into the code.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Nico

Thank you for the screen shots and the spanish-english translations. I think we are getting somewhere. There is another user on a similar thread reporting problems with the Microsoft Input Configuration Device.

For the 3 devices you identified, go to the Details tab and click on the Properties dropdown and select Hardware ids. Can you send me screen shots of the dialogs and values?  It should read HID\VID_0C45&PID_... .

This won't give us a direct answer but will let me delve into the code.

hi! ok im attaching you a dropbox folder with the 3 images of the hardware id´s

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lc5iegrb5n8nhpb/AADTQnRxpIWSBFcrCUSi1tT5a?dl=0

thanks!

Nico

Received thank you Nico. Leave me to do a bit of digging over the weekend.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Received thank you Nico. Leave me to do a bit of digging over the weekend.

Ok! no problem!!!  thanks a lot for your help!!!

whats your name?

best regards! have a great weekend! 

Nico

hey guys,

I am having the same issue. I was getting the same error with Linda 1.13 (invalid pointer). Then updated to Linda 2.5 and the error message now says "Device cannot be opened". I have 2 touch screens setup on my sim (2 of the 6 monitors, the other 4 are non-touch screen). After i hit "Ok" none of my Saitek devices populate in Linda. Any update on this issue? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi caddyboy

No progress at the moment as I don't have any touch screens. I have a suspicion that it may be associated with these devices being absolute coordinate devices.  What screens are you using? Can you also of into Device Manager, right click to open properties and report the PID and VID hardware codes?  The more examples I can get then I may be able to exclude them.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hello ScotFlieger,

Here is one of the devices (it has an elo touch system, this info is for the touch system, the actual monitor is below, or vise versa, i am lost at this moment)

Elo Touchsystems TouchScreen - USB HID MT Collection

HID\VID_04E7&PID_0050&REV_0100&Col01
HID\VID_04E7&PID_0050&Col01
HID_DEVICE_UP:000D_U:0004
HID_DEVICE

Tyco Electronic Tablet 0x50 2216cu Accutouch/4-Wire Resistive

USB\VID_04E7&PID_0050&REV_0100
USB\VID_04E7&PID_0050

My other touch screen monitor is a dell e2014t and it is able to use the elo touchscreen software for the touch screen functions. I did not install the dell software as i figured 2 different software's may cause an issue with stability. I am unable to locate the actual Dell info at this time. The only thing i was able to find on the dell was this in the monitor section of the device manager

MONITOR\DEL40AC

Both monitors utilize the touch features via USB. I hope this helps, I really miss using LINDA, Especially now more than ever since i have completed building my home cockpit.... 

Again, Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Here is a picture of the device manager if it helps.

DM.jpg

Just a note...I have a Dell touchscreen as one of my monitors and I don't get this problem with 2.5. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hello gregg,

Are you using the dell touch driver software? I am debating not using the touch feature.

Well i just tried using only the dell touch screen and got the same error. Once i remove both touch screens (the usb cables enabling the touch screen functions) LINDA works and displays the devices. See the picture below.

working.pngIs it possible to configure the devices with the touchscreens (usb cable enabling the touch feature) not plugged in? Once the devices are setup for the specific A/C then plug them back in. Is this possible?

Are you using the dell touch driver software? I am debating not using the touch feature.

Yes I am. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM