Sign in to follow this  
autopilot

How the Plane will Depart? How can I know?

Hello, Guys!

In image one is departing airport and second is arriving airport runway. There's is my house too. How will I know that today, how the plan will depart? I mean According to Plan A or Plan B?

If plane departs like PLAN B then there's my house and definitely it'll go over my House and I can take its picture over me easily. If It goes with PLAN A then I cannot take the picture. This is actually the problem. lol

Plans.jpg

I hope guys here will help me.

Best Regards,

AP,

Although this seems like a very vague question/scenario dealing with tons of unknown factors about the airport, this would be the best "guess" to go by.

What are the runway numbers/headings? Look at the current METAR winds. If they're more aligned with plan A expect that, if they're more aligned with plan B expect that.

Some of those unknown factors could be including but not limited to:

Runway use program for noise abatement

Calm wind runway use program 

Terrain limitations for departures/arrivals

Instrument approaches available during inclement weather

Opposite direction operations

You could also go on flightaware if this is a busy airport and just look at the trends for the day.

Although this seems like a very vague question/scenario dealing with tons of unknown factors about the airport, this would be the best "guess" to go by.

What are the runway numbers/headings? Look at the current METAR winds. If they're more aligned with plan A expect that, if they're more aligned with plan B expect that.

Some of those unknown factors could be including but not limited to:

Runway use program for noise abatement

Calm wind runway use program 

Terrain limitations for departures/arrivals

Instrument approaches available during inclement weather

Opposite direction operations

You could also go on flightaware if this is a busy airport and just look at the trends for the day.

It's very small Airport. One flight daily it has. It's OPFA or LYP. Now what do you say? Your knowledge?

The direction of the wind will determine the direction.

Faisalabad has a runway pairing of 03/21, so if the wind direction is roughly North, 03 will be favored for operations, while 21 will be active when wind is coming roughly from the South. (That is because this way aircraft require less power to take off, as the head wind component will contribute to the lift created by the wings.)

Since you say it has only one flight per day, wind direction is the only thing to determine that. Either look at the METAR, as has been suggested earlier, use flags etc. as a reference, which might be easier if you live close enough to the airport.

Best regards,

Faisalabad has a runway pairing of 03/21, so if the wind direction is roughly North, 03 will be favored for operations, while 21 will be active when wind is coming roughly from the South. (That is because this way aircraft require less power to take off, as the head wind component will contribute to the lift created by the wings.)

Since you say it has only one flight per day, wind direction is the only thing to determine that. Either look at the METAR, as has been suggested earlier, use flags etc. as a reference, which might be easier if you live close enough to the airport.

Best regards,

You're right. I already know that Aircraft goes to that direction where the wind comes from. But is it possible that a website tell me just 10 minutes before departure of Aircraft? Suppose website publish that Aircraft is moving towards 3 or 21 etc.... and likely to depart from 3?

I have seen Jeppesen but that's not related. I go to FR24, it has no ADS-B at Faisalabad Airport, so it visibles the Aircraft at 5000ft. 

Another thing Flo, Today, Wind was coming from North, it was 2km/h. B738 went from runway 21 side. Now why it didn't go from 3 towards North?

These are the questions. I hope for a better solution.

Regards,

AP,

Looking at Google Earth images, I could imagine that 21 is favored for departure, even though wind direction is north (2km/h is, after all, nearly calm) due to noise abatement. Departing RWY3 would likely lead aircraft over the city of Faisalabad, which people there wouldn't really appreciate, so I guess they let planes depart to the south if wind is calm or only a slight tail wind.

Looking at Google Earth images, I could imagine that 21 is favored for departure, even though wind direction is north (2km/h is, after all, nearly calm) due to noise abatement. Departing RWY3 would likely lead aircraft over the city of Faisalabad, which people there wouldn't really appreciate, so I guess they let planes depart to the south if wind is calm or only a slight tail wind.

Thanks Flo, for your support and help. But after all, I always wish that Aircraft should move from RWY3 and go over my house and then I take picture. lol

Best Regards,

AP,

You're very welcome, AP!

Trust me, most people wouldn't think like that at all - I for one hate it every single time I hear those darn Eurofighters fly over my house when departing or landing in LOXZ, it's just too loud.

The vast majority of the public are  delighted not to have any sort of aircraft anywhere near their houses - including I suspect your neighbours.

Did you try Flight Aware? You can make out the departure RWY. If you give your e-mail adress, it will alert you X minutes (you can chose) before TO and can give you the delay....etc. Hope that helps!

That is because this way aircraft require less power to take off, as the head wind component will contribute to the lift created by the wings

Nope, not true.  Take-off power is the same, regardless of wind direction.

The ground roll, the distance the airplane requires to achieve rotation speed, will vary with wind direction.  But pilots don't reduce power taking off into the wind.  It just doesn't work that way.

My source?  Over two thousand hours flying real airplanes, and over twenty years aircraft ownership.

I may be wrong, but when I wrote "required", I had the following in mind : Imagine a very light aircraft that may have a rotation speed of something around 40kts (isn't the Piper Cub somewhere in that range?). Now assume you have a head wind component of 25kts, which I imagine possible during some heavy storm. Now the power required to take off is the same as what is required to get the aircraft moving at 15kts relative to the ground with no wind - that is a matter of physics: 25kts in one direction, 15 kts in the opposite results in a total velocity of 40kts relative to one another; if that speed of air streaming around the wings creates enought lift, then the plane will take off. Even accounting for the "backward force" imposed on the plane by the headwind, the overall power necessary for the aircraft to accelerate the aircraft to a seed of 40kts relative to the air most likely requires less than to accelerate the aircraft to 40kts. This same scenario - although to a lesser extent - also applies to airliners.

I know that this example is quite unrealistic, and noone in their right minds would go and apply only this minimum power, but still it would be sufficient, as far as I understand the physics behind this. And this is the required power I was referring to.