Sign in to follow this  
MiamiHEAT6

Unexpected windfall $800 what should I get?

Hey guys, I recently had the good fortune of coming into some unexpected electronics store credit and I’ve been contemplating on what to do to make Prepar3d run better, or future proof. Here is my current setup: i7-4790k OC 4.7Ghz @ 1.450 / Asus Z97 WS/ Cooler Master Glacer 240L CPU Cooler / 8GB DDR3 @ 2000 / 2 X MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming in SLI / Corsair Air Carbide 540 / “27 IPS AOC Monitor 1920 x 1080 / Saitek Pro Flight Yoke & Pedals /

Now that we have that out of the way, here is what I was looking at (in no particular order) Credit is at Micro Center so anything they sell would be fair game.

1. Larger Monitor with/without G-sync

2. Triple Monitor Setup

3. Add Another GTX 980 for triple SLI

4.Anything else?

I really appreciate all the help. I don’t mean to come across as pompous by any means, just very passionate and fortunate to have such a great hobby to pursue. I only hope I can pay it forward in the future in many other ways.

Thank you!

With Prepar3D, I would be looking towards a GTX970 or higher.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

With Prepar3D, I would be looking towards a GTX970 or higher.

Uh, he's got "2 X MSI GTX 980 4G" now. Why would he want to downgrade? :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The only thing I can think of is 4k, you have a similar rig to mine but I'm with 970s and currently have 3 screens but am thinking a 4k TV 40 or 50" might be the way to go as it gives better vertical coverage as well. 3 screens is a bit letter box like, even with track ir. There is no current hardware you can better it with in real terms.

Chris

If you really thinking mainly about P3D here, you can cross the triple SLI item. You won't get any benefit whatsoever. I think I would go with a large screen with g-sync. BTW, I have the Carbide Air 540 too... Amazing case isn't it?

Cheers!

I used to sim with a 65 inch monitor, but switched to triple 27 inch monitors. Even with the side sreen distortion triple monitors are way more immersive than a single screen no matter the size of the single. 5760 X 1080 is great. I'd never go back to a single monitor.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

You already have a beast of a system.  I vote.....do nothing.

When do the credits expire?

If you are intent on upgrading....maybe a higher res monitor?

I would go on holiday and relax. Not that, that answers your question

Tom

I doubt an electronic store would happen to have a few spare tickets to Hawaii laying around   :P

ZORAN

Hey guys, I recently had the good fortune of coming into some unexpected electronics store credit and I’ve been contemplating on what to do to make Prepar3d run better, or future proof. Here is my current setup: i7-4790k OC 4.7Ghz @ 1.450 / Asus Z97 WS/ Cooler Master Glacer 240L CPU Cooler / 8GB DDR3 @ 2000 / 2 X MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming in SLI / Corsair Air Carbide 540 / “27 IPS AOC Monitor 1920 x 1080 / Saitek Pro Flight Yoke & Pedals /

Now that we have that out of the way, here is what I was looking at (in no particular order) Credit is at Micro Center so anything they sell would be fair game.

1. Larger Monitor with/without G-sync

2. Triple Monitor Setup

3. Add Another GTX 980 for triple SLI

4.Anything else?

I really appreciate all the help. I don’t mean to come across as pompous by any means, just very passionate and fortunate to have such a great hobby to pursue. I only hope I can pay it forward in the future in many other ways.

Thank you!

Lower you CPU voltage you'll degrade you CPU if you run that high of a vcore

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

haha, not to worry, I bought the protection plan on the CPU, if I burn it out ill just get a new one lol. Plus, temps are still in acceptable range. Max is 80 C during benchmarks.

You already have a beast of a system.  I vote.....do nothing.

When do the credits expire?

If you are intent on upgrading....maybe a higher res monitor?

Has a point.

I have a Dell-Ultrasharp 24 Inch,  if i had some extra cash,  personally i would love a bigger monitor the 30 Inch Dell-Ultrasharp