Sign in to follow this  
dadarkgragon

ILS Landing Approach

Say I am on an ILS approach, all is going well.

Then, I switch on the approach hold, and suddenly my plane starts going out of control.

Once, the plane didn't fly itself, and another time it started what it thought as "descending toward the runway" at least 500 yards away.

I may not be doing the procedures correctly, so if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong that would be great.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Make sure you have the ILS freq. in NAV1 and the plane should be in the NAV mode opposed to GPS.

Assuming this is in the sim?

Next time post a screenshot of your panel, and ID the approach you're using.

Say I am on an ILS approach, all is going well.

Then, I switch on the approach hold, and suddenly my plane starts going out of control.

Once, the plane didn't fly itself, and another time it started what it thought as "descending toward the runway" at least 500 yards away.

I may not be doing the procedures correctly, so if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong that would be great.

Why are you letting "George" have all the fun? Fly the ILS manually and practice until you get it right. In RL you never get to do anything on AP without first being able to do it yourself. Golden rule of flight- never expect the AP to do something you cannot- otherwise how do you know what is going wrong?

Good luck. BTW, on an ILS, tune on the LOC, set "course" on the inbound course of the approach (for situation awareness if flying manually, bit some AP's require it), be at the FAF altitude and set ALT Hold, set an intercept angle of 30 degrees or less, to intercept at least 2 miles out frrom the FAF, select APP, and turn the AP on. A very simplified method of what to do.

Bruce.

Thanks, that helped. I also just got the PMDG 737 NGX, and so that should be a more accurate simulation. I'll try to fly it manually next time.

Sign in to follow this