Sign in to follow this  
mibmab

Flight fails to start - occasionally

I've been using flight with the toolkit 1.0.25.17696. Most of the time it works fine - superb work by stonelance! But occasionally I get the following error message while the first splash screen is shown - and Flight fails to start:

"Games for Windows - LIVE failed to initialize. Another Games for Windows - LIVE title may be running, or your product installation may be corrupted. You may need to repair or reinstall Microsoft Flight. (80004005)"

A restart of the system does not resolve the issue. But then after a few days flight suddently works again with no problems. Has anyone else this problem? Could it be linked to an issue with the toolkit - or something else?

Andreas

Hi Andreas.

I also get this.

taSMF7M.png

When I uninstall the toolkit, Flight works fine. Flight version 1.1.1.30063

Doesn't seem to matter what version of the toolkit I try.

Dick

This is also happening to me. It just started happening today - I have tried to reinstall Flight to no avail.

This happened to me the first time today. I attempted a reinstall/repair of the Flighttoolkit without success.

I also attempted a system restore to a few days ago when the non-GFWL Flighttoolkit modified Flight was working fine but before a Windows update but again no success.

I just found Flight a few weeks ago and appreciate stonelance's (and others') efforts to keep this enjoyable program available. Thank You!

I don't have the time available to dedicate to a hard-core sim system but love Flight!

Same here. I suspect this is  another one of the infamous "Microsoft Security Updates" that has kludged something. I had a few updates several days ago and another this morning. Probably one of them. Hope someone can sort this out.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Same exact experience.  For me this started yesterday.  I don't remember if I tried it the day before.

I'm holding off on a re-install of Flight until we hear something from the devs.

Has anyone out there (on toolkit 1.0.25.x) been able to  run Flight today?

Same here, the non-GFWL version on my laptop will not start after the splash screen comes up. I also had recent updates applied. However, the multiplayer version on my main machine is running currently with eight people buzzing around Lanai Airport when I checked a few minuets ago. Many others scattered around both Hawaii and Alaska.

Steve

OK. I managed to get to the root of this problem within 2 minutes after posting! New time for me. 

Solution (for now!):

Rough conclusion: The problem appears to be coming from the xlive.dll file in the Main Microsoft Flight folder which is installed by the toolkit to over-run the GFWL-one. 

Short Term Solution -

1. Install the Multiplayer version of the Toolkit

or...

2. Delete and BACKUP, xlive.dll from the root Microsoft Flight version folder to revert to Multiplayer enabled mode.

This is a global problem with the Toolkit. Steve should get to it soon. Until then, there is no use in reinstalling the Toolkit if you have the GFWL-Less version... 

Note: It is fine for Flight to say that the game is corrupted. It really isn't. The Flight Toolkit installs three new files into the main folder which does not correspond to the check sum algorithm which is performed on start-up. You are allowed to add files into the main game folder but the original files cannot be altered.

Yes.

You can go to the Flight folder and rename xlive.dll as xlive.dll.bad and it will work.

Dick

That works, but you lose all your progress and start over at the beginning again. Is there a way to do it without losing everything? If so, please explain because I suspect many of our pilots will be faced with this.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Hi Folks

It's not a global problem with the non-GFWL FTK.

Across yesterday, from very early morning, till late,
I launched a total of 26 different Flight sessions.

Only once did Flight fail to load & launch a mission/job, (I think late morning UTC),
and that was possibly model related.

I'm running FTK 1.0.25.5.
xlive.dll is dated 26/10/2014 10:49
Flight is installed to a non-UAC location.
OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit.

I've no pending Windows Updates to apply.
I've rebooted, and Flight is still working today, (4 sessions).

HTH
ATB
Paul

Sure would be interesting to see what's causing this if some of us aren't affected. I've tried again this morning, and still get the error. I too am using the 1.0.25.5 version.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor