Sign in to follow this  
Roger Ramjet

Can't update to 9.1 on a second install

Hey guys, I got a problem that is driving me nuts. I decided to make a second fs9 install (to do some retro flying) . I followed what I thought were all the proper steps:

Renamed original exe and folder.

Installed fresh one. Check, installed okay.

Tried to run 9.1 updater for fresh install and get error 34.

Tried Microsoft's suggestion of fixing registry

Tried Flight1 reg fixer

Put 9.1 update exe file in the new fs9 root folder

Moved everything out of fs9 config folder to let the new install build a new one.

I've tried all these steps and still get error 34!!!!!!!

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

I don't know what Error 34 states, but look and see if you have a folder called Backup in the main FS directory. If so, delete that entire folder and try the update again.

Try this fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894732/en-us

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Bernard is making a good point. If the update detects any alterations to what it is reading as fs9.exe, including old registry entries, it will not update from the install. I had this problem and it was driving me crazy but found out that because I had used a program called Airport Wizard to modify some airports in my previous install and it was storing those files on my C drive (I use a dedicated D drive for FS9) it was preventing me from running the update. Once I got rid of those entries I had no problem. You have to make sure there are no active files on your system that might be read by the new installation as a "modification."

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have tried all of the above. The very first thing I do whenever I install FS9 is to do the update. I renamed the original installation folder and exe, the new folder shows up as the proper totally virgin install. I even moved the BACKUP folder out of my original install to see what would happen. Ian, that's a really valid suggestion but my original install has had so many modifications I wouldn't know where to begin as to where the culprit is.

I might just have to uninstall and forget about running two FS9s. I've had experience doing tons of modifications to the sim but this one little simple operation seems to have me beat.

I think it's a easy way to have  your new FS2004 installation patched ...

You can make it manually :)

Check in your already FS2004 patched version the folder called  backup

All the files inside are a backup of the original files modified by the FS9.1 patch

So ... it's just to copy  past the  same files (from your already patched FS2004) in your new FS2004 install ...

It's just spend a little time ... no more :)

I think it's a easy way to have  your new FS2004 installation patched ...

You can make it manually :)

Check in your already FS2004 patched version the folder called  backup

All the files inside are a backup of the original files modified by the FS9.1 patch

So ... it's just to copy  past the  same files (from your already patched FS2004) in your new FS2004 install ...

It's just spend a little time ... no more :)

Except that method may give him problems if he tries to install addons that check the registry for version FS9.1.

Peter Schluter

If your original install isn't giving you any problems and you just want to have a second install for retro flying, maybe you could just try this - it's what I'm currently using as I am also on a big retro flying binge! :lol: 

Alter the name of your FS9 folder - Flight Simulator 9.modern or something like that. Then create a new folder with the correct label Flight Simulator 9 and copy all your files into it. (Do it before you go to bed and let it run all night!) ^_^ Then you can change your scenery files, aircraft files, AI traffic etc into a "retro version" of FS9. Any time you want to change back, all you have to do is change the folder name to something like Flight Simulator 9.retro and then rename your original one and you should be good to go. You probably will want to run the Flight1 register fixer each time just to be sure. I have three different versions of FS9 on my hard disk with each representing a different era.

Cheers mate - I hope it works out for you. I love being able to switch to a different setup when I'm in the mood for some 60's nostalgia etc.

Ian

Thanks again guys. I'll keep plugging away with a few ideas. Ian, it's a good suggestion but I want to have a totally virgin install with just California Classic scenery and AI.  It's not outside of the realm of me just uninstalling everything and doing 2 new installs at the same time. I've done it any times before and I'll probably do it again.

Cheers,

Pete

Ha! Update! I tried the registry fix and it didn't work but I just looked at it again and found the flight sim location had an extra backslash on the end (didn't pick up on that before) .Took off the backslash and viola, it worked! So again thanks for the help everyone. Had I been a teeny bit more observant I wouldn't have cause this fuss.

Cheers!,

Pete

Congrats Pete! Victory is sweet! LOL

Enjoy

Ian

What works as well, & saves duplicated scenery..

In your new 2nd install, when you add scenery & if that scenery is in your 1st install, you can tell the add-on library in your 2nd install to look at the add-on library in the 1st install.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...