guenseli

New LINDA 2.9.6 released! (17 May 17) v3

265 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I fully appreciate your concerns regarding ongoing support for the original MCP1. The problem is that without access to one it is impossible to fully test or investigate problems as LINDA and the aircraft modules are developed further. 

I have my own MCP2a (FCU Airbus) for my own use and for my preferred Airbus flying.  Last year I also brought a MCP2 (Combo II Boeing) with my own money to ensure that I could also test this panel for compatibility.  I have searched eBay and Google for a MCP1 to extend support for this too without success.

So unless someone would like to donate a MCP1 then as stated 'future version cannot be guaranteed to be compatible with the MCP1'.  LINDA 1.13 is still available with its know compatibility with MCP1.  Like all modern technology, it gets replaced with increasing rapidity and the older equipment becomes obsolete and unsupportable even if it is working and nothing is wrong with it.

I have taken on the support of LINDA for the community but I can only do so with the resources and time available to me. If anyone has a old MCP1 gathering dust or is thinking of selling or donating theirs, then I would happily take it.

Shortly, the winter lull in my photography business will come to an end and my support for LINDA will need to take a back seat. I hope you will understand.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thank you FSC190

Surprisingly I had to go to the German eBay.de to see the posting. The seller says he can't post to the UK but I have asked the question.

Hi Scotflieger,

First let me congratulate you on the excelent job you have done upgrading Linda to support Vri FCU and by increasing  it's funcionalitty dramatically.

After isntalling the latest version 2.5.7, downloaded yesterday, under my installation there is an odd behavior swapping COM1 and COM2 radios, as soon as I swap COM1 or COM2 frequency it enters and endless loop, that doesn't shows the swap line with "<->" .

So I did dig into commom.lua and try to debug where the problem might have been and it is on this function:

function Default_RADIOS_swap ()
    local buffer_s, buffer_x, mhz, khz
    -- COM radio
    if RADIOS_MODE == 1 then
        if RADIOS_SUBMODE == 1 then
            -- COM1
            Default_COM_1_swap ()
            buffer_x = string.format("%04x", ipc.readUW(0x034E))
            buffer_s = string.format("%04x", ipc.readUW(0x311A))
            ipc.sleep(20)
            com.write(dev, 'COMx' .. buffer_s, 8)
            ipc.sleep(20)
            com.write(dev, 'COMs' .. buffer_x, 8)
               switch ("COM1 Swap", RADIOS, "RADIOS")
        else
            -- COM2
            Default_COM_2_swap ()
            buffer_x = string.format("%04x", ipc.readUW(0x3118))
            buffer_s = string.format("%04x", ipc.readUW(0x311C))
            ipc.sleep(20)
            com.write(dev, 'COMX' .. buffer_s, 8)
            ipc.sleep(20)
            com.write(dev, 'COMS' .. buffer_x, 8)
               switch ("COM2 Swap", RADIOS, "RADIOS")
        end
        DspRadioMed('<->')
           com.write(dev, 'RADMhz', 8)

If I comment both lines that have the "switch" function, the endeless loop stops showing.

What is even more strange is that the code for COM radios is equal to the code for NAV radios and the behavior doesn't show up using NAV.

I am using latest version of Aerosoft Airbus A320/A321 under P3d v 2.4 and I did a clean install of Linda 2.5.7, as per instructions.

I also have duplicate radios on my setup, as I use a couple of GF-166, programmed with GoFlight software to show up COM and NAV radios but doesn't look like that is the problem.

Let me know if you need any more testing or debug on my instalation.

Regards,

Jose

EDIT: Forgot to mention I did not copy Sound files as I do not pretend to use them, if they are required, I will install them for testing purposes, after i will replace them with a silent .wav file

Hi Jose

Thank you for your comments. The problem you reported with the radios is a feature (bug) introduced with the first Airbus FCU version 2.0. It is not a problem with the code both with your configuration file which can quickly be fixed.

On the LINDA MCP user page make sure all the Radio functions (except the Mode lines) are set to 'empty' and then click Save. You can do this quickly by selecting the 'Airbus Radios Default' Radios Preset and saving.

The Sound files (in LINDA 2.5.7) are not essential but are useful for Airbus and other users. They provide an audible beep when you change the FCU/MCP modes and when the modes time out and revert to Mode 1. There is also a beep when using the MDCU(L) keyboard input self-cancels - this was added because I kept forgetting to switch off the keyboard.

Hi Scotflieger,

Actually 'Airbus Radios Default' Radios Preset introduced the error, I had to select 'Empty' Preset,  'Save' and it was solved.

Regards,

Jose

Note: Have also sent you one PM, please check.

Hi Jose

Glad you got it fixed. I will look at the erroneous preset. I also got your PM.

Helo there all,

Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible that is coming a install-guide / manual for using the VRInsight Combo's to use and install with LINDA?.

I see several forums full with questions about this item.

I thought, maybe such a guide is valuable.....

Hi LionAir

Are you volunteering?  There is a well written manual (if a little dated) and a full set of release notes available with every release. However, like me, many have trouble reading or go ahead and get themselves stuck. I am planning to put a short video together showing how to install and what users should see when LINDA is started and running. This will be released with the next update.

Haha, I wish I could be volunteering.

I have planned already a long time to get a VRInsight FCU Combo to make it work with the Aerosoft Airbus 318/319/320/321.

But I am a little frightened to start with one, because it seems (for me in any case) a big step to install and to make it work.

I read so many people who has so many questions how to make it works, so I do not dare untill now to make to final step and go for it.

But a step by step manual or a instruction-video (as you mentioned) would be a great help for me

I'm waiting in high tension...

Hi LionAir

I know of only 2 cases where the users cannot, for some reason I have yet to determine, get LINDA to work with their FCUs. I am working directly with them to find out why. I have never had any difficulties with either the Boeing MCP or Airbus FCU panels.

ScotFlieger,

Thanks for your positive answers. I understand that when I am have problems with installation/setup I can contact you for the solution.

That's a pleasure to know that somebody can give the right answers...

I will take it a thought again.

Furthermore, what's your layout on the FCU to come for the best use of the Aerosoft Airbus family?

Hi LionAir

Glad to help. Can you ask you question about Airbus/FCU set up on the Support sub-forum?