Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

High end yoke owners...are they worth it?

I've had a CH Yoke since Abraham Lincoln was president...seems like that.  Anyway, I have been thinking about getting something more.  More what...heavy?...accurate?  I've been looking at the GoFlight and they're having a Black Friday 30% off sale.  It's mostly for GA flying...I don't fly the NGX unless there are two full moons in the same month, but GA planes have heavier feel than the CH.

So, what do you guys think?  Was it worth shelling out that much cash or was there a better solution?

Thanks for the advice,

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I was the owner of a Goflight yoke, but I sold it after some time: the mouse button does not work, the collocation and function of the other buttons is far from optimal, and - most important - the yoke itself isn't really satisfying. Especially the way of travel of the pitch axis is too short and not precise. 

Yes, the Goflight yoke is an improvement against the CH yoke. But from my point of view it isn't value for money, even not at a 30 % discount.

I now have a PFC Beech yoke, and this yoke I really can recommend. Especially the handling of the yoke is great, for me much much better than the CH and Saitek stuff and much better than the Goflight stuff, too. From my point of view, the investment in a PFC yoke was worth the money.

Arndt Laube

P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5

Brunner CLS-E Yoke & Rudder, 2x Logitech Throttle, several GoFlight modules

Intel i7 9700K, 16 GB RAM, Geforce 1080Ti, monitors 3840 x 2160 and 1360 x 768

Thanks for the review on that yoke.  I also found an Avsim review on it.  Seems the only thing better about it is construction and weight.  And, while the mouse idea is innovative, I don't think it is as useful as a second hat.  I looked at the PFC yokes but they focus on being authentic...no hat of any kind to control view (or whatever else you want to do).  Probably better for a multiscreen simpit or someone using trackir.  Oddly, I don't see anything out there which has a button/switch configuration I like as much as the original, basic CH. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I have a PFC Saab Yoke, the same model that was reviewed by Word Not Allowed on his blog some time ago. It's really a night&day difference compared to my previous Saitek yoke. Smooth, precise and has a great feel. The Saab model has plenty of buttons, although not in a HAT layout. 

I bought the cheaper version without hall sensors and don't regret it. After one year it still works like new, it has two big, industry grade potentiometers, not the tiny, cheapest pots installed by Saitek or Thrustmaster. Also, Xavi's support at Simtechdesign where I bought the yoke was exceptional. 

No idea about GoFlight, when I was buying my yoke there were no reviews of it. 

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

The Goflight flight stuff works as advertised. But mechanically.... I find their stuff extremely wanting.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Gregg,

I am on my second PFC yoke. I had an older vmax yoke that lasted well over a decade. When the pitch axes failed, PFC no longer stocked all the parts required. I purchased the cirrus yoke with the SAAB set up. The two rocker switches on the right handle are set up to act as a hat switch by default. I did go with the hall sensors for the longevity and because they will never need adjustment. I figure this yoke will last the rest of my life. Very precise.  I highly recommend it.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

I have the ACE 737 yoke   and i can say that it was

a completely new experience to fly the PMDG 737ngx.

The problem with most    yoke's is, that  they provide    very limited range of motion ,

which makes  accurate flying very difficult (the opposite is  true when you fly bms f-16 jet with a force sensor sidestick).

I was also considering to buy the GoFlight yoke, but judging from  the available pictures, the overall pitch movement seems to be to small  .

(look in comparison various youtube ''737 yoke '' videos).

Also the look and metal feel is different , and propably, the durability.

My personal advise : if you have the change, go and try the unit.

Gregg, I feel your pain.  I would love to move to a better yoke, and I've pretty much convinced myself that the PFC is what I'd like to save my pennies for - except for the lack of a hat.  There are some compromises we have to make over "real as it gets" and to me, a hat is one of those necessary compromises.

And so, I stick with my Saitek compromise.

Scott

I managed to blag a cirrus yoke some years back. It was Jeppesen branded and was used by trainee pilots in the organisation I worked for at the time before they purchased what was the same equipment but with USB plugs instead of the serial that this yoke had. It was a large organisation and evidently it never dawned on anyone that a simple adapter would have sufficed. Yay me! Anyhoo, I eventually gave it away because of it's bulk and use a simple Saitek one now. The cirrus yoke felt right in the hands but essentially only did the same job as it's cheaper rivals. I don't feel the need to defend my purchase as some might do because I got it free. The upshot of all this is that I would not have thought it worth it if I had had to pay big bucks for it. Each to their own though, my assessment of the comparative worth will differ from others.

I'm very tempted with the IRIS Dynamics force feedback yoke. 

I'm very tempted with the IRIS Dynamics force feedback yoke.

The question is...are you $1500 tempted...plus shipping.  :lol:

Gregg Seipp

I've had two CH yokes, the first one I mullered by poking around inside without knowing what I was doing. :blush:  The second one, I poked around inside with a bit more knowledge this time and replaced the springs with lighter ones. I have only one criticism apart from the springs and that is, the plastic shaft/bearings. Too much slop! I've looked at modding them but it's too much trouble for too little return.

To sum up, should this one go fubar then I'd get another one SAP.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

For people weary about not having a HAT switch...

I have the Jetliner Column Yoke from PFC its at-least 5 years old, and its still great! I have replaced the springs a few time but other than that its been the best addon to the sim bar none. 

If you use EZDOK then you dont even need a HAT which is how I have my sim setup. Middle mouse wheel for panning and yoke for flying with appropriate trim AP and ATS disconnect buttons. 

I rate having a high quality yoke over anything else. With PFC you get that and I imagine my yoke going for another 5 easy. 

I tell you one thing for sure, I have gone through more computers and saitek throttles than I have that yoke.

Try EZDOK and if you like the mouse view pan then grab a rock solid yoke. Plastic just doesn't feel right.

The question is...are you $1500 tempted...plus shipping.  :lol:

@ $1000 I am. Thats the price if they get enough for an AVSIM group buy. 

I recently purchased a Thrustmaster Warthog it's such a massive improvement over the Saitek equipment i had before, i wish they did Yokes as well.  

I want a PFC 737 yoke but the price is shocking when you consider shipping to the UK, it's nearly cheaper for me to fly over to the States and pick it up. 

Ian R Tyldesley