Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

High end yoke owners...are they worth it?

On the other hand, $800 will buy a lifetime supply of WD-40 lubricant, so maybe the barely perceptible stickiness of my Saitek yoke isn't so bad after all! :) I'm "sticking" with the Saitek!

Unless you've got a big budget or spend some serious time flight simming, I wouldn't recommend spending more than $200 on a yoke as beyond this point you get greatly diminishing returns.

I have to disagree.  A Saitek yoke and rudder set is around $300.  A PFC yoke and rudder set is around $1400.  The Saitek isn't going to last more than 3 years - I had three, and although the third one is still great, I had to replace the two others.  

After 15 years, you'll have bought 5 Saitek sets, for $1500.  The PFC will still work very well, and you might have had one or two pots to change.  So for roughly the same amount, you'll have spent all this time with different sets of the same so-so product, while I'll have flown with a very high quality, ultra-precise yoke.

We're in an expensive hobby, and to me, a good computer and good controls are very important - what's the point of spending thousands on add-ons if the computer can't keep up or the controls aren't good?

sig01.png

I have to disagree.  A Saitek yoke and rudder set is around $300.  A PFC yoke and rudder set is around $1400... After 15 years, you'll have bought 5 Saitek sets, for $1500.  The PFC will still work very well

I've been in a full scale simulator once and flying a 737 with a proper yoke compared to flying it with a Saitek yoke makes a HUGE difference. Whether or not this justifies the investment is a matter of budget I guess...

If you are a serious simmer it is a justifiable investment...  But your budget is what will dictate that and I have only recently been able to justify that type of investment after 17 years of flightsimming. The experience you get from it is very subjective, but I'm certainly not expecting deminishing returns...

Wow I didn't realise my remarks would generate such a response! But everyone who's objected I would class as meeting my "big budget or spend some serious time flight simming" caveat; $1400 is a lot of money to have spare after paying for a top spec PC, multi monitors, surround sound, addon aircraft, scenery and utilities. And more than 5 hours a week is a lot of simming.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

How are looking around in sim? I thought that the Pfc didn't have a hat switch?

TrackIR!

sig01.png

Gulp. So spend $1500- $2000 on hardware plus 200 for track IR.

Yep, I think you convinced me to keep my ms sidewinder with no rudder pedals.

There's gotta be a better way! $2k is 15-18 hours in a trainer at the airport.

What's needed is a full hardware package for less than $1000. And even writing that sounds like too much money.

supporter.jpg

You're reminded of the quality you spent your money on every time you use it, but the price you paid fades pretty quickly.  At least in my experience. I run a Saitek yoke and pedals currently, and it's fine, but if you really enjoy it, do an entertainment budget and see how it fits in.  

There's gotta be a better way! $2k is 15-18 hours in a trainer at the airport.

Yes, but its is also  3-5 years without any more sim investment 

So maybe I'll pull the trigger if one has a decent hat switch. That way I can wait on the next technology for motion capture.

Does one have a decent hat switch. It looks like goflight has one but it's too small...

supporter.jpg

So maybe I'll pull the trigger if one has a decent hat switch. That way I can wait on the next technology for motion capture.

Does one have a decent hat switch. It looks like goflight has one but it's too small...

Honestly, get yourself a TrackIR.  Hat switches for viewing are such an immersion killer.

it's got a nice smooth metal shaft ... their Cessna yoke, and I rekon 80%+ of folks will find this perfectly satisfying.

Unless you've got a big budget or spend some serious time flight simming, I wouldn't recommend spending more than $200 on a yoke as beyond this point you get greatly diminishing returns.

I feel the need to issue a correction, a sizeable subset of users are complaining the Saitek Cessna yoke isn't smooth in the pitch axis when you have any roll applied, although there are few DIY fixes shown online but they involve disassembling the yoke. Back to the drawing board me thinks *sigh*

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Honestly, get yourself a TrackIR.  Hat switches for viewing are such an immersion killer.

Ditto. One of the worst things about some otherwise good FSX videos is the jerky movements around the cockpit. Compared that to one who's maker uses TIR. Chalk and cheese.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.