Sign in to follow this  
alhefner

I need a nice GA aricraft with some good power

I "fly" in mountainous country out of the Reno, NV area airports. Sometimes, in order to follow ATC directions, I need a good steep rate of climb. The native propeller aircraft of P3D just can't quite get there a lot of the time. I can, of course, use the Lear 45 but, for short hops, like Reno to South Lake Tahoe, it's a bit of a beast and forget sight seeing on the way!

So, if anyone knows of a good addon aircraft, or one of the ones from FSX that I can copy over, that is pretty powerful, please chime in!

Really depends on what you want, Al.

Piston, normally aspirated? Turbo? Turbine? Of the three the latter will have the most power at altitude, but turbines are really different to fly from piston-powered aircraft due to lag in engine response.

I personally like the turbine-powered TBM and PC-12 from Carenado. The B-58 from Carenado is a good normally aspirated flyer, and with the turbo mods from HawkDSL (see http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=179798) it is really nicely powered.

The RealAir Duke, both piston and turbine, are super aircraft to fly.

Really, a little bit of reading through the AVSIM reviews will yield a ton of good information about various aircraft.

Have fun!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

With 924ft/min as standard max climb, and you'd have quite a bit of power left, the new A2A C182 does a great job climbing. The C182 is a jack of all trades, with a short take off run and short landing distance, it's often used for bush flying.

And A2A did an awesome job modeling it, systems, as well as the graphics. I know, it looks like 'just another Cessna' and I wasnt very enthusiastic about it at first, but once I had a go in this aircraft I havent even looked at any other aircraft I have.

Cheers!

Maarten

I tried using the native B-58... Flying a direct route from KRNO (Reno) to KTVL (Tahoe), Radar Contact gave instructions of fly rwy heading to 11,000 expect 14,000.

I could barely reach 8,000 before ATC was bugging me to get to my assigned altitude of 14,000. Rate of climb was about 500 feet per minute without the air speed falling into stall condition.

I may have to spend the big bucks and get the addon aircraft you guys are suggesting.

Now, if native P3D had controllers in my destination tower, or either radar Contact or Pro-ATC/X supported VFR flights, I could just go VFR the whole way and like it better. :huh:

What about a Bonanza, or the LDR Development Navion?

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Rate of climb was about 500 feet per minute without the air speed falling into stall condition.

Yeah, pretty much any normally aspirated aircraft is going to run out of steam above 8,000 ft.

And while I agree with Maarten about the A2A C-182 (have just spent a couple of hours, tootling along as happy as a clam down here at sea level - an absolute treat to fly), when I tried to maintain a climb from KTVL @ 1,000 fpm I went into a wicked stall above 10,000 feet (having the AP on in a stall *really* complicates things!). I think a more prudent climb rate would be 500 fpm, putting you back in the bad graces of ATC.

I will try it in the Turbo Baron and get back to you.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Yeah, I just took the Bonanza from KRNO to KTVL... ATC was NOT happy! I hosed the landing too since I didn't manage to bleed off altitude in time... Got a bit of video of it being processed by youtube now.

Big bucks?  RealAir Turbine Duke will get from Sea Level to 10,000 in 3 minutes.  Twenty bucks and one of the best airplanes made. 

EDIT:  It's not yet native P3D but I installed the FSX version in P3D and it works a champ.  (Real Air says it should be released native for P3D very soon.  Listening Rob?  Very sooooon.)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

This just in: Turbo Baron works just fine. 1,000 fpm @ 140 kts, 50% fuel and solo pilot (same scenario as the Skylane I referenced above). All you need is a stock Carenado B-58 and the HawkDSL mods and away you go.

That being said, Gregg is right: the RealAir Turbine Duke is an absolute beast. I like flying the piston V2 edition better, but there ain't no denying the turbine is a rocket ship. Things happen fast, and you have to be ahead of the airplane!

And yeah, when Rob gets around to releasing the Turbine Duke on P3D it is an auto-buy: my PayPal account is quivering in anticipation.

John Howell

Big bucks? RealAir Turbine Duke will get from Sea Level to 10,000 in 3 minutes. Twenty bucks and one of the best airplanes made.

EDIT: It's not yet native P3D but I installed the FSX version in P3D and it works a champ. (Real Air says it should be released native for P3D very soon. Listening Rob? Very sooooon.)

Greg, do you(or anyone else) know if there will be a discount to go from the turbine v1 to v2? I'm thinking about getting the turbine v1 now and then would definitely want the v2 when that comes out.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Another good, but less complex option is the Carenado C208. It will get into anywhere and has the power to climb out of anything.

WOW! Tons of good stuff here. I just flew the King Air 350 turbo and it performed great! No nagging from ATC at all. I gotta try out that $20 addon airplane Gregg mentioned one of these days too!

For the next 17 months or so, I'll be spending a LOT of time on the flight sims and hopefully resisting the urge to shell out to much $$$! I'm trying to save money so I can move to my 80 acres in the wilderness and be a hermit in the spring of 2016...

SR22 Turbo will accomplish what you want as well.. B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Another good, but less complex option is the Carenado C208. It will get into anywhere and has the power to climb out of anything.

Are you sure? I was on Fseconomy last night in the 208 fully loaded in cold air climbing through 10,oooft and had to dial back to 500fpm to stay above 100kts ands thats with the Carenado upgrade . Was never higher than 800ft Vs at anytime

ZORAN