Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Any FS9ers get the new iFly 744?

Just wondering what the performance of this new plane is like?

I was on the Flight1 site checking out the system requirements and it looks like this add on is going to be a beast (by FS9 standards).  Here are the specs from their site....

CPU 3.0GHz Dual Core, Recommend 4.0+ Quad or more
Memory Min 3 GB, recommend 6 GB or Higher
VGA memory 1 GB, recommend 2 GB or Higher

That's not a typo, folks.  It's the requirements for FS9.

I plan to get a 744 in a few months and so far I think I'm going to get the PMDG Queen of the Skies.  I want to fly the 744 into mega payware hubs like Madrid, Heathrow, etc and with the required specs for the iFly, I think it would kill the fps in these payware major hubs with full ai running.

Having used the iFly 744 into and out of many mega payware hubs, using 100% AI, I have not had any issues with performance. The frames in the VC dropped into the mid twenties (my frames are locked at 30) but that's about the biggest hit that I have experienced on my rig.

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Thanks for your input, Joe.  Are you running i7?

I'm still undecided because I have a Phenom 2 @ 4ghz and with the PMDG MD-11 I'd get mid 20's to 30fps in major hubs.   

Thanks for your input, Joe.  Are you running i7?

I'm still undecided because I have a Phenom 2 @ 4ghz and with the PMDG MD-11 I'd get mid 20's to 30fps in major hubs.   

i7 3770K overclocked to 4.5GHz.  8GB DC DDR3 @1866MHz

Regards,

Joe Esposito

Drat! My system is nowhere near that! There goes my wish to Santa ...

Remember we're talking FS9.  I've flown the beast into every major mega-airport I can think of and completely around the world and it's smooth as glass.  System is an i7 920 @3.2Ghz, an ancient GTX260 NVidia card, 8 Mbytes of fast RAM and an average WD 1 T byte 7200 rpm hard drive.  Lots of AI, high everything and no problems.

DJ

I'm having some FPS issues with it but nothing severe. I'm not overwhelmingly thrilled by it so far but still in the early stages and at the steep part of the learning curve. If you're comfortable flying the iFly 737 (love that addon!) it's not too difficult to make the transition to the 747. I do recommend buying it if your system can handle it but don't expect the same sense of a quantum leap in FS9 aircraft that we had when the iFly 737 was first released. It's very good but IMO not spectacularly so... But those are very early impressions - I've only flown it a couple of times so far.

I've done a few test flights in it since buying it yesterday, and overall I think it's a solid product.  The VC is better than the one in the 737 as far as clarity goes, and my framerates were pretty consistently locked at 30, except for a few moments at major airports when they dipped into the 20's.  Autoflight was solid throughout the flight regime.  It does seem to use more memory than even the PMDG MD-11, but not a lot more.  

Only two liveries available right now, but the devs said today on their forum that a livery pack is forthcoming.

John G.

Thanks a lot for your inputs, guys.  Greatly appreciated.

So I think I'll give it a shot but I'm going to wait a few months until more liveries are available. 

Would be interesting to hear from those who own both the iFly and PMDG regarding fps.

Great to hear the VC is better than the 737.

I purchased this with high hopes, but like kiwiflyer45 I am a bit disappointed. There are frame rate issues on my system which are annoying, and unlike any other add-on I have (dropping to 11-12 fps). I suspect all the high quality VC textures are making this one too hard for my old system.

I think that the PMDG 747 will still be my preffered option for the time being.

Graeme Butler

My impression of the frame rate issue is that it probably has something to do with the gauges refreshing as (at least on my system) it fluctuates up and down about 10 FPS every ten seconds or so... I am planning on doing a reinstall at the weekend as the instructions on the F1 website state that if there is any kind of firewall or virus protection active when downloading this can cause the files to be corrupted and will result in frame-rate problems. I thought I had disabled everything but will give a reinstall a try and see if that helps

Yes - that sounds like a possiblity. My frame rates fluctuate in a similar fashion too. I even tried re-sizing the textures from 1024x1024 to 512x512, but the impact was minimal, so I think now it is not the textures at all but something about the panel/gauges.

Graeme Butler

Thanks for the update, guys.  I think I'll wait on this one.  I'll get the PMDG first. 

Don't know why iFly products have fps issues.  The only other iFly I own is the 737 for FSX and I get bad stutters with it.

Only two liveries available right now, but the devs said today on their forum that a livery pack is forthcoming.

Air France is now available:-

http://library.flight1.net/?cat=36

Don't know why iFly products have fps issues.

Because of systems depth and overcoming the old FS9 issues of polygon count.  More polygons, more computer power needed. Simple.  'As real as it gets' costs ...