Sign in to follow this  
OscarR

P3D in Surround, Possible without huge fps drop?

Hello,

I am having some problems with the performance in fsx with my computer. My cpu runs at 3ghz and I have a GTX 760 card with surround enabled. I thought: Does prepar3d v2 give me a more stable frame rate because the workload is now mostly on the gpu? Here are my specs:

• Processor
    Intel Core i5-4430
  • Processor Cores
  • Processor Speed
    3.00 GHz
  • RAM
    Ballistx 8GB
  • Video Board Manufacturer
    Asus
  • Video Board Model
    GTX 760
  • Video Memory
    2048MB
  • Mother Board
    GigaByte H81M-HD3
  • Hard Drives
    1x 240GB SSD 1x 2TB Memory
  • Monitor
    3x LG 22EN43VQ
  • Operating System
    Windows 8.1

Kind regards, Oscar

Does prepar3d v2 give me a more stable frame rate because the workload is now mostly on the gpu?

they really didnt move all that much, my gpu runs maybe at 20-30% load untill i go into clouds, where it really starts working 90%+

maybe shadows and few other things it is still mainly CPU clock speed driven and with your 3 GHZ... uhm.. I wouldn't expect miracles moving to p3d with your system.

also 760 card isnt a monster of a card.

when i originally moved from FSX to p3d i had a g-force 680 and i2700k at 4.9Ghz, i noticed that P3D was a lot smoother then FSX was, and p3d was with more eye candy etc.. so i never looked back and stayed with P3D.

I have since upgraded my video card to 780Ti and again the boost in performance was very noticable i have better performance using 737NGX with dense heavy REX-4 cluods then i ever could in FSX. Taxi at the airport is about the same FPS wise but smooth without them FSX microstutters.

Main thing is there are no more stutters with P3D!! even at low 10-15fps p3d is smooth, but you can notice the 10-15fps performance. That is with pmdg737 taxi around the airport and AI traffic and cars and everything else pretty much maxed out, yet its reasonable smooth.

just using default airplanes from p3d without any addons etc.. you could expect smooth 20+ FPS with pretty much all maxed out. but once you start adding stuff well then.....

cant you overclock this CPU of yours?

my first order of business will be getting the 777pmdg once they realease it and dump the 737 untill updated one is out.

Hope this gives you an idea on what to expect.

and yes i do run surround actually 5 displays in total on 2 video cards 780ti and 680, for my homecockpit and it does perform better then FSX.

Does prepar3d v2 give me a more stable frame rate because the workload is now mostly on the gpu?

First things first, P3D can make use of a better video card. The 760 is probably close to the minimum specification and I would think surround performance would be seriously compromised when selected.

To give you an idea, I run FSX and P3D with an i5 overlocked to 4.5mhz and GTX670's in SLI. Now neither FSX or P3D can really utilise SLI but my impression is that P3D scales up into surround better than FSX. A get a 3-4fps decrease in full 1080 3 monitor surround but about 10 fps in FSX, maybe more.

So P3D is better at utilising better video cards but it's still heavily CPU when compared with modern applications... 

Jason Jackett

@AndyCYXU @Freaknout Thanks for your replies! Unfortunately I can't overclock my cpu: its a i5-4430. So what would you do? Stay with fsx or go for p3d?

@AndyCYXU @Freaknout Thanks for your replies! Unfortunately I can't overclock my cpu: its a i5-4430. So what would you do? Stay with fsx or go for p3d?

Hi Oscar

If you've an investment in FSX then I would stick with FSX. I don't see a massive difference between them to be honest.

P3D will work with your current set-up but to get the best out of it, a stable i5/i7 overclocked CPU and perhaps GTX770 or GTX970 would be a good investment.

Jay

Jason Jackett

Hi Oscar

If you've an investment in FSX then I would stick with FSX. I don't see a massive difference between them to be honest.

P3D will work with your current set-up but to get the best out of it, a stable i5/i7 overclocked CPU and perhaps GTX770 or GTX970 would be a good investment.

Jay

YUP I second that!

If you just run bare FSX go for P3D, but like Jay said if you got a lot invested in FSX, i wouldnt bother hang on till they maybe come out with 64bit some more updates etc.. get a better video card.

or you know what I never though of it but they do give money back so heck go for it, try it out for yourself and if you dont like it and do not see improvement then just return it..

I just returned Battlefield 4.. first time ever i returned digital software LOL waiting for GTA5 :lol:

a stable i5/i7 overclocked CPU and perhaps GTX770 or GTX970 would be a good investment.

Again thanks for your reply! My computer is only an half year old, I bought it in march. The power supply is only 600W. It won't be possible to go for the i7 4790k and GTX 970 until i have 750W don't you?

YUP I second that!

If you just run bare FSX go for P3D, but like Jay said if you got a lot invested in FSX, i wouldnt bother hang on till they maybe come out with 64bit some more updates etc.. get a better video card.

or you know what I never though of it but they do give money back so heck go for it, try it out for yourself and if you dont like it and do not see improvement then just return it..

I just returned Battlefield 4.. first time ever i returned digital software LOL waiting for GTA5 :lol:

I don't have a lot invested in fsx just some aerosoft sceneries, two pmdg planes (NGX, 744X) and some tools like fsuipc.

Yeah, later on i want to play battlefield but without a big lag so a new graphics card would be a good investment.

Is it still a good investment to buy a better cpu since everything uses the gpu?

Regards,

Oscar

I think you can drop a 4790k in there with current PSU and it will work just fine without any overclocking... even then you gain 1Ghz to 1.4Ghz in Turbo over the 4430 thingy and you should see massive improvement IMO...  then wait for prices to go down on 970's

besides 4790K as i read is the best there is at the moment for FSX/P3D

and i really dont think they will drop in price much more, they will just simply disappear from market just saw one for $350 CDN on ncix on special now.

video cards the 900 will likely drop some more in time

Is it still a good investment to buy a better cpu since everything uses the gpu?

YES, like Jay said little better then I did in my OP they just made a better use of GPU in P3D but it is still very CPU depandant for the clock speed,

so yes, depanding on your budget I would recomend getting 4790K since it will be the least expensive upgrade just put it in place of the old one.

I would even like to update my 2700K to 4790K but after much reaserch I think it just not worth $1400 + as I would need whole new system to get maybe (and maybe not) 5 FPS.

:rolleyes: .....and i can browse internet just fine thank you Intel LOL.... :rolleyes:

FSUIPC is good no need to buy again

PMDG737NGX will work with some effort but it will bug it down and you will want to buy new PMDG when they finally release it.

This is a video I made on how p3d performance is on my PC, so you can kind of compare to what you get currently with fsx in nvsurround

this video is cropped to 1920x1080 however the original recording was done in 6000x1080 with whole bunch of gauges undocked on other monitors (cannot see that in video) so yet additional drag on FPS and also Fraps added some performance loss, but it pretty well ilustrates what I get as far as smoothness and performance running it the way I do.

Oh LOL and never mind the landing LOL it was bad and hard i just wanted to set her down to finish the recording ... surprised it didnt crash :D

I think you can drop a 4790k in there with current PSU and it will work just fine without any overclocking... even then you gain 1Ghz to 1.4Ghz in Turbo over the 4430 thingy and you should see massive improvement IMO...  then wait for prices to go down on 970's

besides 4790K as i read is the best there is at the moment for FSX/P3D

and i really dont think they will drop in price much more, they will just simply disappear from market just saw one for $350 CDN on ncix on special now.

video cards the 900 will likely drop some more in time

YES, like Jay said little better then I did in my OP they just made a better use of GPU in P3D but it is still very CPU depandant for the clock speed,

so yes, depanding on your budget I would recomend getting 4790K since it will be the least expensive upgrade just put it in place of the old one.

I would even like to update my 2700K to 4790K but after much reaserch I think it just not worth $1400 + as I would need whole new system to get maybe (and maybe not) 5 FPS.

:rolleyes: .....and i can browse internet just fine thank you Intel LOL.... :rolleyes:

FSUIPC is good no need to buy again

PMDG737NGX will work with some effort but it will bug it down and you will want to buy new PMDG when they finally release it.

This is a video I made on how p3d performance is on my PC, so you can kind of compare to what you get currently with fsx in nvsurround

this video is cropped to 1920x1080 however the original recording was done in 6000x1080 with whole bunch of gauges undocked on other monitors (cannot see that in video) so yet additional drag on FPS and also Fraps added some performance loss, but it pretty well ilustrates what I get as far as smoothness and performance running it the way I do.

Oh LOL and never mind the landing LOL it was bad and hard i just wanted to set her down to finish the recording ... surprised it didnt crash :D

I think i'll buy the i7 4790k later this year and the 970 later on when the price has dropped :-) but is 600W enough to run this cpu and gpu?

btw, Your landing wasn't that bad, I had some harder ones :lol:

Regards,

Oscar

I think i'll buy the i7 4790k later this year and the 970 later on when the price has dropped :-) but is 600W enough to run this cpu and gpu?

btw, Your landing wasn't that bad, I had some harder ones :lol:

Regards,

Oscar

Hi Oscar

The GTX970 is supposed to be very good on the power requirements so assuming your power supply is a good quality one you'll probably be ok with 600w. I ran my overlocked i5 with a single GTX670 with a 650w Corsair and it was absolutely fine.

Should mention that it's not necessarily a case of FSX OR P3D, you can use both, they can co-habitate!

Jay 

Jason Jackett

The GTX970 is supposed to be very good on the power requirements so assuming your power supply is a good quality one you'll probably be ok with 600w. I ran my overlocked i5 with a single GTX670 with a 650w Corsair and it was absolutely fine.

My power supply is from Be Quiet. Is there a way to calculate to minimum power supply?

Regards,

Oscar

Well that should be fine then. Do a google for power supply calculator. I remember using a tool that calculated the requirements.

Jason Jackett

I'm running a home cockpit with 3 projectors on 3 GTX680s in NV Surround with ORBX UK scenery and holding a steady and smooth 32fps.Beau at LM recommends driving each display from it's own card in Surround mode.

I'm running a home cockpit with 3 projectors on 3 GTX680s in NV Surround with ORBX UK scenery and holding a steady and smooth 32fps.Beau at LM recommends driving each display from it's own card in Surround mode.

WOW I didnt even know you could do that :o

so how is it set up please tell..

how many monitors in total?

do you have 4 cards in total? or just 3 and somehow got extra monitor for gauges hooked to one of them or something..

really interested

I have 5 total displays (8monitors)

anyways im very interested if you didnt mind sharing how you got it all set up and what aircraft do you run it with.

Thanks

Hi Andy

The cockpit is a PA28 Warrior. I'm a Flight Simulator Technician and I built it as a concept for a low cost flight training solution. The instrument panel is made up of Simkits gauges and hardware and the rest of the operational bits are real aircraft components that I modified for use in the sim through analogue input cards. The visual is 210 degrees by 40 degrees FOV run on 3 GTX 680s and 3 short throw projectors, one projector per card in 3-way SLI Surround and warped with Warpalizer. The next phase of the project is a multi-engine cockpit which will eventually be certified as an FNPT2. There's a video of an early test flight on YouTube, nothing exciting, just a circuit at Cardiff Airport but it gives you an idea of what it looks like. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLOdrzvJk4.

All the Best.

Richie