Sign in to follow this  
Kerrydancer

Changing ICAO codes

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to change FSX  ICAO codes to make them compatible with PMDG fmc database codes loaded from Navigraph.

I use FS Commander as my flight planner and as you may know it gets its airport data from FSX.  Unfortunately, since FSX is an old program, and since a few airports - notably African ones - have changed their airport ICAO codes, the PMDG fmc is unable to recognise the old ones.  Thus any flight plan compiled in FS Commander and exported to PMDG will not be recognised.  A typical example is Johannesburg which until 2012 used to be FAJS.  Now it is FAOR.

The only way I know to overcome this is to manually enter the plan into the fmc waypoint by waypoint.

Is there a better way ?

Ron.

Is there a better way ?

Download new airport files from AVSIM. Everyone calls them AFCADs. While that's not technically accurate (AFCADs would imply they came from the AFCAD program), it's the easy way to find them.

Kyle Rodgers

Download new airport files from AVSIM.

Does one file cover all the new airport codes or is there a file for each airport? After it is done, could you then go to free flight, change current location, enter FAOR for the airport ID and Johannesburg International would come up as the airport name as opposed to Port Alfred which comes up now?

Does one file cover all the new airport codes or is there a file for each airport? After it is done, could you then go to free flight, change current location, enter FAOR for the airport ID and Johannesburg International would come up as the airport name as opposed to Port Alfred which comes up now?

One for each, though it's technically possible to have multiple in one (which is how FSX is by default - multiple airports in one big .BGL). The person who made the new file will likely have a "delete" BGL which will "erase" the base airport to ensure there are no name conflicts. It will only show up as the new code in the search box.

Kyle Rodgers

According to FS Commander website, they use the same navigation data source as PMDG e.g. Navigraph or NavDataPro.  If your version does not do this, consider upgrading to their current v9.5 or moving to PFPX.  I have use many flight planners over the years and none is as easy to build a route as PFPX plus it provides a very long list of features for dispatch planning.

Dan Downs KCRP

According to FS Commander website, they use the same navigation data source as PMDG e.g. Navigraph or NavDataPro.

According to FS Commander website, they use the same navigation data source as PMDG e.g. Navigraph or NavDataPro.

I believe FS Commander gets its aircraft data from the FSX database -- . so if your AFCAD file says FAJS, that is what it will find. You do need a new AFCAD. It gets procedure data from the Navigraph (or NavDataPro) database.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Guys,

Many thanks for your replies.  I take on board what you say and agree that FSC should get updated with the release of each Navigraph Airac cycle.

Just for the record, my FSC is version 9.5.1 and I have Airac 1412 Rev 2 installed.  This is current from Nov. 13th through to Dec. 12th. and should therefore show the Johannesburg change.  However it is still showing as FAJS in FS Commander. 

Another exmple is Durban, FADN, and now disused.  The new airport is King Shaka, FALE, but this is not shown in either FSX or FSC, only the old FADN.

I cannot understand why.

I cannot understand why.

As mentioned above:

FSC uses airport information from the sim. You need to update your sim. This is done by downloading the AFCAD filed I mentioned earlier. It's actually quite simple.

Kyle Rodgers

Guys,

Many thanks for your replies.  I take on board what you say and agree that FSC should get updated with the release of each Navigraph Airac cycle.

Just for the record, my FSC is version 9.5.1 and I have Airac 1412 Rev 2 installed.  This is current from Nov. 13th through to Dec. 12th. and should therefore show the Johannesburg change.  However it is still showing as FAJS in FS Commander. 

Another exmple is Durban, FADN, and now disused.  The new airport is King Shaka, FALE, but this is not shown in either FSX or FSC, only the old FADN.

I cannot understand why.

Ron, we all "suffer" these airport name changes. As Kyle has said, you have to update your sim by installing new scenery for FALE, King Shaka Intl. that will be added to FSX.  FADN can not be deleted in FSX. We just "abandon" it. There will be no reference to it in the new AIRAIC procedure files. The same applies to Johannesburg Intl, FAJS that became OR Tambo Intl, FAOR. You have to install new scenery that will add a new FAOR airport where FAJS is. Again FAJS can not be deleted in FSX. You will still see the reference to it in FSX.  After you have installed the scenery in FSX, run FSCommander's FSCDbManager to update it's airport database. You will then see all airports as it's in your sim and the applicable procures as per AIRAC will match.

Johann van Rhyn

Guys,

Many thanks to you all.

I'll have to carry out what you say and see how it goes.

Never had to do it before, so I'm not sure how to proceed, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ron

Guys

I've carried out searches for both Johannesburg and Durban AFCAD files in both Avsim, Flightsim as well as other other library file sites.

Both Avsim and Flightsim have Johannesburg, but only as FAJS, and neither have AFCAD file for Durban that my searches could find.

Would someone be kind enough to point me to an AFCAD library that has the correct updated files ?

Apologies for being such a pain, but I simply cannot find the files to use in what you say is such a simple exercise.

Ron

Johannvr,

Thanks for that.  I couldn't find the files anywhere, so I explored and discovered another way to solve this issue.  

Let's suppose a flight from London Heathrow to Johannesburg - EGLL to FAJS.

Complie the flight in FS Commander as normal and save the file - EGLLFAJS01.  When saving make sure the PMDG export box is checked.  This will export the file to the PMDG folder within FSX.

Navigate to FSX>PMDG>Flightplans and find EGLLFAJS01.rte

Right click and rename the file EGLLFAOR.rte. 

Double click the file and open with Notepad or a similar program.

Scroll to the entry fajs and rename faor.  Save the fie.

Now we have a flightplan in FS Commander which that porgram will display as FAJS, and the PMDG FMC will accept the plan EGLLFAOR01 when entered as the Company Route.

Perhaps not the most accurate way to do it, but it's free, and it works.

Obviously, Durban (FADN) is now closed, with a new airport (FALE) 60 klicks to the north, but for my flight sim purposes, I don't mind the error.

Having said all that, since I fly to these two regularly, I think the investment in getting the downloads you mentioned is worthwhile.  Other, less important airports for me, I can deal with by the method explained.

Anyway, may I thank you all for your help with this issue.  Have a great time expolring the skies !!

Ron