Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Is additional mesh really necessary?

I have had problems with PIlots mesh for the Americas in several places outside the Orbx regions.  So I just removed it. 

I really don't notice much difference when I'm flying in those areas.  Especially in the Yukon aruond Faro.

It may be my system, or maybe not, but lakes sitting on 100 foot high craters just doesn't do it for me.

Since about 80% of my flying is in Orbx North America which already has mesh I'm wondering if additional mesh is worth the aggravation.  For me it isn't.

About 10% of my flying is around my home in New Mexico and in the canyonlands of southern Utah I can say I hardly notice the difference if addional mesh is there or not.

I'd rather fly than chase down problems; so my third party mesh is going bye-bye.

I had the same problem in FS9 with FSGenesis  mesh.  For instance the lakes in about a 50 mile area around Yellowknife were all on high craters that weren't there when the mesh was removed.  In that case I kept the mesh and just flattened the entire area.  But I'm not up to doing that anymore.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Well, as you have found out, super detailed mesh brings its own problems. At one point I had 10m mesh installed for Europe and USA plus other areas at 38m etc. courtesy of FSGenesis.

In the end I found the HDD space (especially after going to an SSD) and the issues that the mesh caused with airports on plateaus etc were not worth it.

Now I have only the FSGenesis World Mesh (76m) and some higher resolution stuff in the alps (19m I think). Thats it.

Default USA is already 38m and now the rest of the world is a minimum 76m thanks to FSG. Obviously there are some areas which come default as higher resolution as well as the mesh that comes with Orbx Regions and airports (down to 5m on some!)

Thats my current solution and one I have been happy with. Less SSD space and a fairly reasonable mesh resolution worldwide, zero issues with plateaus etc.

Same here, the issues with raised airports was not worth the trouble in the end.

FS9 really benefited from better mesh but FSX and P3D are fine for me without any.

I am using some very localized meshes.  Holgers mesh for OZ's Grand Canyon and Death Valley.  But I'm only using the mesh, not the textures.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

seems strange. i use fsgenesis for usa and never see any plateaus. in the past few years i think i saw one in colombia maybe. maybe it's because i have utx usa so the water levels are also accurate and corrected and everything matches up. for me it is worth it, as i probably only do about 50% of my flying specifically in the orbx regions of the usa.

cheers

-andy crosby